Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school problems!!!! I'm flipping out!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies
OK I'm going to start with a Few bullet points to explain the situation.

*I'm new to my area, I knew NOBODY When my kids started school here.

* my kids are 5 & 7 and it's a lockdown school. But it's a very small town. The only other school they have been in was in a very small town in Missouri where everyone knew everyone. I could walk into my child's classroom welcomed at any time!!!

* A couple months ago there was a shooting in the area and they locked down the school. I found out when my daughter got in the car scared to death. She thought the shooter had been in the school that morning and was mad because i hadnt come got her before the end of the day.( I FlIPPED TF OUT )

* for 11 years of my childhood I was severely abused. I have went through years of therapy and I do OK in life. I am a little more protective over my children then most.

So Thursday they call me and tell me my 5 yr old is not feeling Well. I go to pick him up. I have to wait in the cold 5 mins with my 2 years old to be buzzed in, I have to have my picture taken AGiAIN (trust they all know me by now ) then wait about 20 mins (it's a 4 min walk down 2 halls ) for my son to be brought to me by someone other then his 2 teachers. Needless to say Im ANNOYED!!!!!

Friday was a teacher work day so there was no school. Saturday night I'M scrolling through fb and read that the school custodian has been arrested for statutory rape. So before I flip I make some calls, find out what news had this ...finally find the news article.

He was primarily at the middle school, but did fill in at the elementary school.

I showed the kids Just his pic and asked if they knew him. My oldest said she didn't but did say his name when she was telling me about the people at school later on.

My son said "he mops the floor for much teacher". He seemed totally undamaged and I don't think he could keep a secret if his life depended on it.

But still the whole thing just has Me in an uproar and my anxiety through the roof. I didn't even want to send them today, and now I just wanna go get them. Ik the threat has been removed, but i still feel like they lost my trust and wont keep them safe. I havent even talked to the school yet, mainly because I need to gather myself before i act irrationly. I do love the teachers and so do my kids.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:43 AM
3 moms liked this

Whoa, I think you need a Xanax

AJsMom81507
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

i think she needs more than xanax.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

AJsMom81507
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:47 AM

during a lockdown - NO ONE is allowed in or out of the school.  hence the word lockdown.

and what would you tell the school?

during a lockdown i had a tramatic life experience as a child, and i demand you let me get my kids?

really OP.  get some help.  Your children will feed off your "mental" issues

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe the whole bottle and a padded room.

Quoting AJsMom81507:

i think she needs more than xanax.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:50 AM

I think you are really overreacting.  I don't see an issue, other than how annoying it would be to wait for 20 minutes for my kid to walk down the hall.  I would have been asking where my kid was every 3 minutes.  LOL.  The statutory rape thing may or may not mean anything.  Probably means he had consensual sex with an underage girl.  They have much worse charges if it isn't consensual.  Have you tried getting counseling to deal with your anxiety?

simplemom
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:51 AM

I think you're overreacting.  My children have been in several schools, and they all keep the doors locked and buzz you in.  It's for the safety of the kids so that some wacko cant enter the school and start shooting everyone.  As for the custodian, he could have had consensual sex with a 16 yo (which is still wrong), and is now being charged with rape.  I am sure if he is found guilty he will be fired.  Yes, of course, this is not good and he shouldn't be there, but I don't think that you should freak out about it.

ZamilyMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:52 AM

I would not be upset about needing to buzzed into my child's school and asked for ID (standard procedure in most schools) as these policies are for your child's safety. Same with the lock down, as it's better to be safe than sorry.  Would you prefer to have your children a little shaken up due to a precaution or have a shooter enter the building and kill them?

Also, I can understand you being upset about the statutory rape, but you do not know the details.  If it involved student while he was working as the janitor, he should not have a job, but that may not be the case.  Perhaps he was started dating and sleeping with a girl when they were both 17, then he turned 18 first and continued having sex with her.  The parents could then have him charged with statutory rape and it would remain on his record.  Before you blow up, get all your information!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Calm down. Most schools don't allow you to just walk in and go to classrooms without going through a check point. It does not matter how many times you have been there, they still have to follow procedures. I was on the PTA board and volunteered in the classroom and chaperoned various school activities and I had to produce my photo id every time I went in the building. It is for the safety of all of the kids. Schools here also require yearly background checks on every volunteer.

Schools also do background checks on employees. Does that mean there will never be a bad apple? Absolutely not; however, the only way you can 100% protect your kids is to put them in a bubble.  I don't know what you think the school will tell you about the janitor. All they CAN tell you is what you already know. They will not give you any more details.

MicheleJM
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:54 AM

This.  It's a safety issue for you, the police and the children that you not be allowed in.  If you want someone to blame look no further than our lousy excuse of what passes for mental health care.  We don't provide for care or hospitalization for the violent among us and we are reaping what we sow in these shootings.  If you want your children safe work to change that.

Quoting AJsMom81507:

during a lockdown - NO ONE is allowed in or out of the school.  hence the word lockdown.

and what would you tell the school?

during a lockdown i had a tramatic life experience as a child, and i demand you let me get my kids?

really OP.  get some help.  Your children will feed off your "mental" issues

SlytherinQueen
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:54 AM

You need to calm the fuck down.

Your school being locked down like that is excellent. No one needs to come and go as they please at a school, not these days. They're not being unneccesary at all.

The school does not need to call you or every parent when every little thing happens. They're slammed with enough as it is.

Your past has nothing to do with this post, other than a pity factor.

I have anxiety, too. But even I'm saying this is over the top for someone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)