Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The repo man cometh...and Lord knows what's next...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

It has been all I can do to not break down right here at work in this office...I just need to vent!

After my husband lost his job last year, things have just been on a downward spiral.  We moved in search of new work becasue my PT job would pay for nothing.  We should have stayed in that town as the cost of living was not bad and we could have stretched our savings a little longer, maybe.  But no, he wanted a fresh start and to be done with the very cut  throat industry he was in. We had friends in the new place who offered to take us in.  We offered to pay rent from our savings but they were like "No"...so we provided food for 6 people, I cooked dinner 4-5 times per week and provided great maid service while looking for work. 

FAST FWD....husband lands job...6 figures and we are set!!!!!  Back to living! Find a rental, I get a job, not much, but it's a job... I'm at my new employer, completing my HR paperwork and he calls to tell me he's out!  The company is folding!!  I'm like WTH?????  He suspected early on some of thier practices were questionable but being new to that industry he tried to hope for the best--HAHA!!!  There were, back to depleting our savings just for necessitites.  Living at the bare minimum...my check puts us right at the poverty level...it doesn't cover the rent or car note, insurance...food and the part of the power and water bill :( .

When he finally lands something else months later, it's far less than any 6 figures but if we can just pay on stuff, surely something better will come, right?!  Well that was months ago.  We are so far behind with our bills I can't see the light of day right now!  Payment arrangements are past due and the car is in leiu of repossession as I type!  I barely have the $10 my son needs for lunch this week.  Not sure how we will pay the rent and...EVERYTHING IS FALLING APART...I'm trying desperately to keep it together!!

On my way in to work this morning, I saw a homeless man with his sign at the stoplight.  I was overcome at the thought that could be us in a matter of weeks...

I know there is a God...bowing down

but my life SUCKS right now.

banging head into wall

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dlock25
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:51 AM
You need to just pay the basics right now. Shelter food water electricity heat and transportation. Anything else can wait. If you can't provide for those you need to seriously reexamine your income.
2nd most important thing you need to do is breathe. I'm so sorry you are going through this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:57 AM

This. And there's no shame in applying for PA if you need it. I know for one child a cash assistance check here in Ohio is around $350 and so are food stamps for one child and one adult. It's what I used to get when I was temporarily unemployed and looking for work. It's better than being on the streets.

Also, here DHS helps you find a job if you ask them. They have people to help with resumes and they usually get the first scoop on who's hiring too.

Quoting dlock25: You need to just pay the basics right now. Shelter food water electricity heat and transportation. Anything else can wait. If you can't provide for those you need to seriously reexamine your income. 2nd most important thing you need to do is breathe. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

teaandcookies
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:03 PM

on your lunch call every local help net work out there.  ge gov assistance.  be strong and proud in the fac hat you are trying to get back on tract and just hit a rough spot.  talk o he school, hey might be able o help with lunch while you get caught up.  Hugs and if you need want help with suff like sreching meals, when to get help .  Im here.  hugs and a prayer

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Pay the basics, apply for free lunch and Food stamps.Focus on rent ,food and car. I always pay rent first then I go from there. Make a plan. Will he get unemployment? Hope things turn around.

Toonkasmommy
by Challenger 💗 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM
I'm so sorry hun. Apply for pa that's what it's there for, life will get better.
mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:19 PM

how were you not saving all that time hubby had a healthy paycheck? looks like you only have one child, 6 figures with one kid is a lot of money. where did it all go?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:19 PM
I hope things turn around for you real soon!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:40 PM

He is working, just took so long to find work.  We can provide but just  We both have college degrees...feels like a joke right now.  Public assistance asked about our income and from the response I got she's saying we will not qualify. Why? Becasue of what we will be making!  Is this a joke blank stare?!!!! 

I guess I'm in the group where you just passed the point of eligibility.  I'm holding on for dear life!!

halleys_mommy_1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:46 PM
She said they are going thru savings now. I think they did save but now thay have to dip into that.

Quoting mojogirl:

how were you not saving all that time hubby had a healthy paycheck? looks like you only have one child, 6 figures with one kid is a lot of money. where did it all go?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missmars786
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:52 PM
I'm sorry your going through this, hon. Believe that it will get better! The ladies who have commented before me have given some great adivice, make sure you heed it!

I hope everything works out for you and your family, OP! Try to stay positive and everything will eventually fall into place.

: )
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)