Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age did you talk to your children about sex?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
Is it when they started asking questions? How old were they? Did you tell them it is natural and to practice safe sex or to abstain and wait till they are married? Or has it just always been an open subject in family?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jabojoe
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:10 PM
When they asked. Dd was in fourth grade I think so I guess 9? I gave her the biological basics at that time and as she got older and asked more questions, I told her my views on relationships and whatnot. I tell my kids that it's their body and if they don't respect it, no one will. I tell them that only they have the right to decide when they will share theirselves and that it's important to be in a committed, loving, healthy relationship with someone who is like minded and has things in common with you. I tell them to be sure they're ready for all of the physical, mental, and emotional consequences that having sex can produce. I tell them if they're not ready to wait. I tell them if they want to be safe, they should use bc and I explain what the options are and the pros and cons of each one. I also stress to them that no bc is 100 percent effective and that if they're not ready to become a parent then it's better to wait.
GaleJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:21 PM
As with every subject we began to teach about sexual biology from birth. We were honest and factual and explained anything about which our son asked.

We went to our zoo almost every day and so our son, like children that grow up on farms, understood a great deal about sexual biology from a very young age and accepted that knowledge as readily as that of any other subject.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:24 PM
We haven't gotten to intercourse yet. Dd is 5. She does know about why women have periods and about childbirth. As for making the baby she knows its a private thing that a mommy and a daddy do. When she is a little older I will tell her more.
LeilaBeansMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Open subject in our family. I have answered all questions honestly with the most age appropriate answer I can. Safe sex will be preached in our house because I don't believe sex is something that needs to wait until marriage.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:25 PM
DS is almost 7 and girls have cooties.
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:26 PM
I always talked about it with them in age appropriate ways. When they were little it was "don't let anyone touch your vagina". at 10 and 11 they are more curious So it's "something adults do". The 14 year old gets "don't let anyone touch your vagina". Lol. Just kidding. I tell her about being safe and waiting until she's mature enough.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:26 PM

DS is 7 and we haven't. It hasn't really come up. He is starting to ask a little about babies, so I'm thinking its about time. Now I just have to figure out what to say.

KiraLise
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:28 PM

I've had the rudimentary discussion with my son who is 8. I try and be as open as possible so he can feel free to come to me. I brought it up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)