Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CIO for food!? UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

A friend just posted that her 6 month old was in for a wellness visit and she told the doctor that she is eating every 2 hours still and he said she should start making her cry it out to go longer between feedings.  

WHAT?  

I have never heard of CIO for food before.  Has anyone heard of this?

UPDATE:  She is bottle fed.  And no the mother is not taking this doctor's advice.

P.S.  This is not a sleep debate.  

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
j3st3r
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Is she breast or bottle?

I would say if she's bottlefed and is perhaps eating too much, the doctor may have suggested that she space out feeds.  I can't imagine anyone advocating for letting the baby scream.

She can comfort the baby without feeding her.

hashtagRC
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Breast or bottle fed, 2-4 hours is normal at 6 months. I would be getting a new doctor.
kmeow
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:34 PM
I've never heard a doctor recommend it, but I've known idiots who did it to save money on formula and teach their kid that "crying wouldn't get him his way." . They'd just give the poor kid bottles of water in between feeds.
sdtoga
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:35 PM
New doctor is in order.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:35 PM
What the fuck?! That'd be the last time I ever saw that dr! I'm so thankful to had a ped that supports bf and is very knowledgeable on the subject..and he's a man, which is surprising lol
sdtoga
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:36 PM
Ew. Fucking idiots.

Quoting kmeow: I've never heard a doctor recommend it, but I've known idiots who did it to save money on formula and teach their kid that "crying wouldn't get him his way." . They'd just give the poor kid bottles of water in between feeds.
Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:36 PM
None of my kids doctors have ever said that. I'd be finding a new pediatrician smh.
kmeow
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:40 PM
They certainly were. It was the only time I've called CPS, because they also didn't believe in doctors so otherwise no one would have known.

Quoting sdtoga: Ew. Fucking idiots.

Quoting kmeow: I've never heard a doctor recommend it, but I've known idiots who did it to save money on formula and teach their kid that "crying wouldn't get him his way." . They'd just give the poor kid bottles of water in between feeds.
sdtoga
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:42 PM
Do you know what came of calling cps? Anything?

Quoting kmeow: They certainly were. It was the only time I've called CPS, because they also didn't believe in doctors so otherwise no one would have known.

Quoting sdtoga: Ew. Fucking idiots.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:42 PM
No. Absolutely not. I never scheduled my daughters nursing, she nursed when she wanted. She still nurses when she wants, has three meals a day and snacks and water are always available.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)