Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long am I contagious?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

I'm having trouble finding information on the internet so I thought someone here may know. I may need to get an MMR vaccine for my new job but I have an unvaxinated child at home. I'm afraid I will be exposing him to measles. I figured I could wear a mask for a while. I have put a call in to his doctor but in the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the risk is and for how long. I'd hate to have to pass up this job.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:27 PM

I don't think you getting the MMR vaccine will cause your son to get measles.  If you are nursing, wouildn't the vaccine/antibodies go into his little body?  he may feel a bit under the weather for a few days.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:27 PM

For the rest of your life! But really IDK. Just call your doctor or his doctor and ask.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:27 PM

I'm not nursing. It's a shedding vaccine.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I don't think you getting the MMR vaccine will cause your son to get measles.  If you are nursing, wouildn't the vaccine/antibodies go into his little body?  he may feel a bit under the weather for a few days.

KaySee86
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM
I think you only need to keep the site of the shot covered up. That was all they told me when I got the men shot but that was last year so don't I could be mistaken.
squeekers
by squeekers on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:30 PM
I know Scripps has a nurses phone help line and i think you don't have to be a Scripps member. You ought to try & call there. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:30 PM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Oh interesting. That would be easy to do. I asked the nurse at my new job and she looked at me like I had three heads. I went to get my titers checked but I'm pretty sure I will need the MMR.

Quoting KaySee86: I think you only need to keep the site of the shot covered up. That was all they told me when I got the men shot but that was last year so don't I could be mistaken.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Thank you

Quoting squeekers: I know Scripps has a nurses phone help line and i think you don't have to be a Scripps member. You ought to try & call there. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:32 PM

you'll be shedding the virus for up to 3 weeks..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:32 PM

I think its 2 weeks. I used to have the vaccine insert, but i dont anymore. Ask your dr for it before you get the shot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)