Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Finally! It's about time.*long* ~Updated

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

So I am the matron of honor in my good friends wedding.

To put this as light as possible her parents are ruining everything she wants.

When my friend first got engaged, she had invited them to go look at venues with her. With out even knowing her fiances they would laugh and tell her to not even bother with the places she wanted because "they are way to expensive to even look at." 

When the venue they wanted and fell in love with fell through. Her parents took over. They made her put down a deposit on a camp ground, her dad told her to not even bother with catering he would roast a pig.

My friend pretty much became numb at that point. Her parents decide to turn my friends elegant affair to a back yard BBQ.

They would laugh at the settings she would pick, the center pieces and even our dresses. 

Its three months before the wedding and my friend has confessed that she is dreading her wedding day because of them and that is why nothing is picked out or even ordered. The only thing ordered is her dress, our dresses and the tuxes.

Well last night the bridesmaids had gathered with her to calm her down and do something fun for the wedding . That is until we found out how much still needed to be done.

After getting my friend to calm down enough to tell us what was wrong she spilled everything.

Well after asking her why she let them do this and why is she even going through with their plans. My friend has finally figured out that she is the bride and that what ever she wants we'll figure out a way to make it happen.

Today I get a message that the wedding is being pushed back by three months and everything is changing. From the food to the venue to everything but our dresses, her dress and tuxes.

I am waiting to see how her parents take this tonight when she tells them.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Where did her parents grow up? Dogpatch, USA?

Nanamom127
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:32 PM

I can't figure out why people let other people railroad them, especially on memorable events such as this. Good for you for injecting some backbone into your friend. I hope she has to backbone to tell her parents and withstand their criticism. 

143myboys9496
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:33 PM

You'll have to update the post. CM'ers love sequels..LOL

I'm glad she's finally standing up for what she wants. 

My mother RAN my wedding. The only thing I got were my colors, and honestly, to this day, I firmly believe that if she didn't like them, she'd have made me change them. I will say she threw a super nice wedding, but it cost them FAR more because of all the things SHE wanted to do. When she started talking ice sculptures I had a panic attack and literally begged my father to make her stop. I couldn't take it anymore.

flcowgrl23
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:34 PM
People need to grow a spine! She could have avoided this mess
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:36 PM
Good for her! I left my parents out of all the planning. They weren't paying for it they don't get a say.
Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:36 PM
Are the parents paying for it? If I were your friend, I'd tell my parents they can just relax, wait for the invites, and buy something off my registry if they feel like it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:37 PM
If they aren't paying, why did she let them make any decisions?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Not a dime.

Quoting Rhodin: Are the parents paying for it? If I were your friend, I'd tell my parents they can just relax, wait for the invites, and buy something off my registry if they feel like it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:38 PM

I honestly have no idea.

Quoting B1Bomber: If they aren't paying, why did she let them make any decisions?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:40 PM

If she is expecting her parents to pay for the wedding, then it really isn't just abouty "her".  If she and her DF want total control, then they need to pay for everything.  

Again...this is another great reason why sane people elope!   All of this drama isn't worth it for a few hours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)