• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Puerto Rico anyone?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

Looks like we will be PCS'ing to Puerto Rico in May of next year.  Just me and DH.  DH has been there several times while on duty on a ship.  But he didnt' get much exposure to actually living there.  I'm excited and so nervous.  I just ordered Rosetta Stone so we can learn Spanish. 

Does anyone have experiences with Puerto Rico?

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:35 PM
they speak English there.
nellyoleson
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:36 PM
I have been there a lot on work trips. I adore it. The people and culture and scenery are all great. Good luck!
jjames1990
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:37 PM

I know that they also speak English, but one of the guys that just left the station there said that they prefer to speak Spanish and that you get labeled a "Yanki" or "Yale" if you can't speak Spanish.  It will be a good workout for my brain to learn it.

Quoting Anonymous 1: they speak English there.

jjames1990
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  I can't wait to have a yard with banana trees and mango trees. 

Quoting nellyoleson: I have been there a lot on work trips. I adore it. The people and culture and scenery are all great. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:38 PM
Do you think they won't be able to tell that you're a native from somewhere else? I'm sure they're used to tourists besides Rosetta Stone isn't necessarily teaching you PR Spanish.

Quoting jjames1990:

I know that they also speak English, but one of the guys that just left the station there said that they prefer to speak Spanish and that you get labeled a "Yanki" or "Yale" if you can't speak Spanish.  It will be a good workout for my brain to learn it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:39 PM

I don't know why I always thought that your husband retired already.

Anyway, that's awesome and exciting. =)

IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:40 PM
We went to old San Juan on our honeymoon. We loved it, its beautiful and we want to go back.

A bartender we met who'd moved from Connecticut said it was hard for him to learn Spanish there because everyone will just talk to you in English.
ginnie_21
by Ginnie on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:40 PM
Lol good luck with learning pr Spanish
jjames1990
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:42 PM

I'm more concerned with me understanding them.  And I know the dialect is different.  I have two close friends from there, they are going to tweek what I learn to be more culturally accepted. 

I'm also not concerned with them knowing I'm from some place else.  I could probably blend, because I'm Greek and Jewish, Dh is going to stick out like a sore thumb.  A lily white thumb.  The same as he did when we were in Israel, lol

Quoting Anonymous 1: Do you think they won't be able to tell that you're a native from somewhere else? I'm sure they're used to tourists besides Rosetta Stone isn't necessarily teaching you PR Spanish.
Quoting jjames1990:

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Oh, you're so lucky. My mom is from Lomas Verdes, PR. I took my husband there a few years ago for him to meet my side of the family. It's a beautiful place, but has a lot of petty crime. Most of my family there doesn't speak English. Only the ones who went to private schools learned English and speak it very well. 

The food is amazing. The beaches are wonderful. And don't forget to visit the Bacardi Distillery! ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)