Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you try it or just say "ew"?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

I've been on a no sugar diet since the beginning of January (this includes fruits except for either 1 green tipped banana or granny smith apple per day).  So, I've been trying to find healthy alternatives to a lot of the stuff that I like.  This is especially important for desserts.  I found a recipe for chocolate pudding that, with some tweaks, has become a family favorite.  The first time I made it, DS didn't like it.  The recipe called for 6 tablespoons of cocoa powder and it kinda mitigated any sweetness that the recipe otherwise had.  Everyone else liked it, though.  Well, I was chatting with my mom about it and commented that DS didn't like it.  When I shared the recipe with her, she commented "No wonder he didn't like it!"

Working with it, we've found a cocoa powder balance that works for us and it is now a family favorite.  I was thinking about my mom's reaction and began to wonder if it was just the fact that we've gotten used to it with the way our diet has been lately.  So, I took some over to my neighbor to try it out.  She could tell it wasn't traditional chocolate pudding, but she said it was good.  She gave the rest to her husband and he liked it as well.  She said that it had to be good if he ate it.  She was kinda surprised when I shared the recipe.

You can do a search for it and find a few different recipes, but they all follow the similar ideas.  It is a combination of bananas and avocados with cocoa powder to make the pudding.  The recipe I use adds some almond milk to make it easier to blend.  Other recipes call for some canned full-fat coconut milk.  It comes out super creamy and lightly sweet.

My question is, if you saw a recipe like that would you be willing to try it out or would you automatically rule it out as disgusting?

ETA: there seems to be some confusion.  I'm not asking if you would turn it down if it were offered to you.  I'm asking if you would skip over a recipe, such as the one mentioned above, simply because you thought the combination of ingredients sounded gross.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TygrrEyz
by Marie on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I will usually try something at least once.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:38 PM
I'd try it if someone else made it. But, I wouldn't just make it blind and unknowingly.
SamanthaSage
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:39 PM

I would try it. It sounds good to me.

embrigmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:39 PM

We'd try it at least once.

AddictiveSide
by Don't worry-be happy on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:40 PM
Try it first.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:40 PM
You lost me at disgusting. Yeah, I would try it. I'm probably going to be googling it now.
corasmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:41 PM
I'd try it, I don't think it sounds bad.
eadyT
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:41 PM
No, I don't think I would.
TresHijas111825
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:42 PM
I'd try it-sounds good to me.
SDmomma-3
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:42 PM
I make one with bananas, the cream from canned coconut milk, and vanilla extract. My dh won't eat it but my kids all love it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)