Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blood spatter lesson plans for a 3rd grader!?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

Mobile Photo

DD (8 yo) is in an enrichment program at her school. It is meant for children who need more of a challenge than the basic curriculum. So far it has been going very well. They voted on a detective theme, and they have been doing some great observation games, dna analysis on their hair, fingerprints, etc. today, however, she came with information on blood spatter at a crime scene. Just looking for opinions. I am very confused by the graphic material. What are your thoughts? Photo attached.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamzie1
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:17 PM
She's 8?? This would upset me and I'd be speaking to the teacher asap.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:17 PM

I would say they are getting a well rounded education. 

amandajoy21
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:18 PM
Is she disturbed by it? It seems pretty mild and very scientific in the explanation. I wouldn't be upset by it unless my child couldn't handle the material.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:18 PM
Why are you confused?

I was in an enrichment class, sort of. I studied genetics and had to poke myself and do my own blood type in addition to assignments involving a human brain, human heart, human lung, and tonsils.
tinybluemoon
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:18 PM

How fun. It's physics. Very cool.

ejkdmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:19 PM

I get your concern, but it is an enriched course.  What does your dd think of it?

imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:19 PM
I think that's pretty cool. My kids would totally dig that
DanaG70
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Wouldn't bother me, but then my kids were fascinated by gore at that age.

lauren.m
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:20 PM
I'd have no problem with it
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with it. My son is in second grade, we get him a lot of science and forensics kits, including ones where you solve a crime using microscopes, blood typing, fibers, etc., and some of them have blood spatter analysis. In the fifth grade they offer a forensics elective class that includes those types of plans, my son takes science two grades above his grade so when he is in third, he will go to the fifth grade science and wants to take the forensics course, it's okay with me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)