Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really Random Question..

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:33 PM
  • 12 Replies

How often should you clean carpets? DH has severe allergies and I am just wondering how often other people clean their carpets.We just got a new carpet cleaner and they were just cleaned this past Saturday. Should I do it weekly or will that ruin the carpet? 

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Every 6 weeks, a dry carpet system is better than a wet one.

Look into the Host system.

*My grandparents have owned a sales and repair store for vacs and sewing machines for 34ish years*

RockMyBliss
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:35 PM
Maybe I'm gross, but I only clean my carpets 2x a year. I vacuum 2x weekly. We only have carpet in the bedrooms and in the basement living area.
AddictiveSide
by Don't worry-be happy on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:36 PM
I think once a month, try to use natural cleaners if he has bad allergies.
mcrowley22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:36 PM

The one we just got is a Bissle ProHeat2X. I have never heard of a dry carpet system. What is that? 

Quoting OwlNuggets:

*My grandparents have owned a sales and repair store for vacs and sewing machines for 34ish years*

alexsmomma06
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:36 PM

We tore out all the carpet in our home except for the upstairs hallway because of DHs allergies. I used to vacuum every day and have the carpets cleaned every 2 months to help his allergies. When we decided to tear out the carpet, I couldn't believe the amount of dust and dirt that was in the carpet. He hasn't hardly had any problems since removing ours. 

MilkLover0203
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:37 PM
I have a company come every three months, and I vacuum daily.
mcrowley22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:37 PM

We use an hypoallergenic carpet cleaning soap. I honestly couldnt tell you the name and I don't want to walk to the laundry room lol 

Quoting AddictiveSide: I think once a month, try to use natural cleaners if he has bad allergies.

Bwanna12Bree
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:38 PM

I would only do it 4-6x a year max. It will affect the life of the carpet...   

If he has that severe allergies I would recommend getting rid of the carpet all together.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:39 PM

It's a two-part process involving using the Host cleaner which is actually finely ground-up sponges (like sawdust) that is saturated with the cleaning agents. You spread it around, use the shampooer to work it into the carpet fibers, going back and forth and every which way. You do it for a couple hours, using more of the dust as needed, then vacuum it all up. :)

If you honestly want to reduce allergens, though.... you need to get rid of your carpet lol.

Looking into "snap wood flooring"

Quoting mcrowley22:

The one we just got is a Bissle ProHeat2X. I have never heard of a dry carpet system. What is that? 

Quoting OwlNuggets:

mcrowley22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:39 PM

DH was just diagnosed with COPD/Uncontrolled Asthma. ( if that makes sense) We found out he was allergic to our puppies so we had to build them a dog coop outside. The carpet was just changed in the Master bedroom a year ago. I am hoping it doesnt get to the point where we have to take it out... =( 

Quoting alexsmomma06:

We tore out all the carpet in our home except for the upstairs hallway because of DHs allergies. I used to vacuum every day and have the carpets cleaned every 2 months to help his allergies. When we decided to tear out the carpet, I couldn't believe the amount of dust and dirt that was in the carpet. He hasn't hardly had any problems since removing ours. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)