Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A not so perfect smile. WWYD??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
Growing up my parents could not afford braces. When I could afford the monthly payment I didn't get them because I liked my 'Jewel' smile. I've learned to smile so my overbite isn't noticeable but I can't hide my crooked eye tooth. I want to get new fangled back braces to help the overbite. My dh thinks it will change my smile that he loves so much. I think it will make me smile more. WWYD?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
allycally
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:02 AM
My stepdad had great insurance and they only paid like 1000 for my 4 years of braces...but if not i would have definitely got them..especially if your teeth look bad but if its just a slight problem I wouldnt worry about it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:02 AM
I think braces are good if you have issues. Everyone I've seen get them, once they're off, their face is so much more symmetrical, or aligned. I have a f couple slightly crooked ones on bottom and wish I'd gotten them just to straighten everything out.
TigressLily
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:07 AM

If you're not in pain, I'd leave them alone TBH. I had to have all my teeth removed because I was in pain so much, there's no describing the pain honestly. Roots were exposed nearly everywhere and it was so hard to eat. Long story of why, but point is, if they're not causing you any trouble, I'd leave them be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel my face will be more aligned with the overbite corrected. This subject came up because my dh was pointing out all the V.S. models with an imperfect smile. There were a few, something I didn't notice before.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I think braces are good if you have issues. Everyone I've seen get them, once they're off, their face is so much more symmetrical, or aligned. I have a f couple slightly crooked ones on bottom and wish I'd gotten them just to straighten everything out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:13 AM
There is no pain and teeth would have to be aligned, not removed. It would make less self conscious about my uneven smile. I smile big and it takes up most of my face.

Quoting TigressLily:

If you're not in pain, I'd leave them alone TBH. I had to have all my teeth removed because I was in pain so much, there's no describing the pain honestly. Roots were exposed nearly everywhere and it was so hard to eat. Long story of why, but point is, if they're not causing you any trouble, I'd leave them be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:19 AM
I've always been self conscious about my smile but my dh loves it. When he describes it I feel beautiful. He doesn't like 'perfect' teeth.

Quoting allycally: My stepdad had great insurance and they only paid like 1000 for my 4 years of braces...but if not i would have definitely got them..especially if your teeth look bad but if its just a slight problem I wouldnt worry about it
Krystle1216
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:19 AM
I got braces in adult years. Best thing I ever did. I actually got Invisalign. No one could tell I was wearing them unless I pointed it out and yes when you get new trays they do hurt, but it's totally worth it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:26 AM
My dh has a naturally perfect smile and a thing for an imperfect one lol. I'm tired of remembering to smile 'straight'. I want a big even smile that I don't want to hide. He's going to have to adjust to it.

Quoting Krystle1216: I got braces in adult years. Best thing I ever did. I actually got Invisalign. No one could tell I was wearing them unless I pointed it out and yes when you get new trays they do hurt, but it's totally worth it.
TigressLily
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:27 AM

Trust me I understand about feeling ashamed/embarrassed to smile etc., it took me nearly a year not to cover my mouth when laughing and smiling after my teeth were removed. I had taught myself to cover my mouth by instinct because it embarrassed me so much. Sometimes I still catch myself trying not to smile and then I remember that I don't have to worry about it anymore. I didn't have to truly worry about it then, and you don't either, but I did and I understand why you do, even though the cause of the problems are different.... if it makes you feel uncomfortable, but your DH doesn't want you to change it, explain to him, get him to understand how it makes you feel and how you don't feel that you can smile all the time properly because it does embarrass you. Take a lot of pictures smiling for his eyes only before you go to have them aligned, etc.... Find some sort of compromise like that so that he is up for it, and so he understands that it matters a lot to you, then go from there.

Quoting Anonymous 1: There is no pain and teeth would have to be aligned, not removed. It would make less self conscious about my uneven smile. I smile big and it takes up most of my face.
Quoting TigressLily:

Krystle1216
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:31 AM
My dh is the same way he also has perfect smile/teeth. He didn't understand why I wanted Braces either at first but he supported me and he definatly adjusted just fine..

Quoting Anonymous 1: My dh has a naturally perfect smile and a thing for an imperfect one lol. I'm tired of remembering to smile 'straight'. I want a big even smile that I don't want to hide. He's going to have to adjust to it.

Quoting Krystle1216: I got braces in adult years. Best thing I ever did. I actually got Invisalign. No one could tell I was wearing them unless I pointed it out and yes when you get new trays they do hurt, but it's totally worth it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)