Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was I out of line?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:18 AM
  • 48 Replies

Last night, I had a dinner date with a friend of mine. Turns out, she brought the whole family. Fine by me, It would be nice to see the kids.

Well, we haven't had a chance to get together since before Christmas. Both families went through he flu, work, and other things in between. So, needless to say, we still haven't exchanged Christmas presents. 

At dinner, they had brought Christmas presents for my family. I felt awful that I didn't bring ours for them. I honestly didn't know everyone was coming and it has been so long, I totally forgot about them. There's been a lot going on and I feel bad that it was the last thing on my mind.

When it was realized that I hadn't brought the gifts, I got immediate attitude from the two kids. They refused to talk to me when I asked them questions, they refused to really engage in any conversation other than with their mother.  

At the end of of dinner, as we were gathering our things, the older child (8) had a meltdown. She didn't want to be there, she wanted to go home and play her xbox and starting complaining very loudly that she didn't get a present. Then the five year old started. I felt bad. Apparently, they were told by their mother, that they would be getting presents from me and when I had nothing, they jumped off a cliff.

This went on for the five minutes that I was talking to the parents. Both kids crying and complaining that they weren't getting anything. Neither parent jumping in to calm the kids, just letting them go. 

So I said, "I'm really sorry I didn't bring the presents, aunt Jody totally forgot about them and I didn't know I'd be seeing you guys tonight. But I'm really glad I did get to see you!"

In response I got the following, "Whatever, you probably didn't get us anything anyway." From the 8 year old and "We should take back what we got you." From the 5 year old. 

Both parents heard their kids and neither one of them said a word to the kids. 

So I said, clearly irrated, " We got to spend time together, that should be present enough."

Apparently not. I got a text this morning from the mom. She told me I was out of line saying that to her kids and that was something her and her DH should handle. But neither did at the time. 

Out of line or not? (On a side note- this pregnancy is making me very feisty and I really wanted to call this kids out for being ungrateful and acting like brats, but I didn't.)

by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hashtagRC
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:20 AM
3 moms liked this
You did much better than I would have.
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Wow! Just...wow to how obnoxious her children were toward you and now with the text from this "friend."

If this is how her children act, I suspect she'll be burning a hole in her cell phone texting everyone who might actually make a comment toward how bratty her kid's are that SHE will handle things.

Question is...when does she and her husband plan on doing that "handling?"

You were far more patient than I would have been.

HandMmom12
by Jody on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:21 AM

I almost don't want to give these kids anything, now.

Quoting hashtagRC: You did much better than I would have.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:22 AM
Those little shits wouldn't be getting anything from me.
isell_avon
by ehhhh! on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

WTF? I'd probably slap a hoe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:22 AM
Not out of line. It's clear the kids didn't want to see you, they just wanted to get presents. And they are way too old to have tantrums about it.

That text would be the final straw. I wouldn't waste my time on these people.
butterfly61806
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:22 AM
I wouldn't have been so nice with how rude they were. I'd be even more annoyed with parents.
mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

what a bitch thing to do. did you remind her that she failed to mention her whole family was going to be there to exchange gifts and that she made you look like an ass?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:23 AM

They sound like a bunch of brats. If there was to be a gift exchange especially three! months after Christmas, you should have been given a heads up. You aren't physic.

butterfly61806
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
If it was me I probably wouldn't give them the presents after that episode.

Quoting HandMmom12:

I almost don't want to give these kids anything, now.

Quoting hashtagRC: You did much better than I would have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)