Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update she tried throwing it in my face that she's paying me so I told her forget it

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 297 Replies
3 moms liked this
My sil has two children who are ages 5 and 8. At the beginning of the school year she realized that she was too late to sign up for before and after school care at the school. They were filled up and the waiting list was relatively long. So she came to me to ask if I could watch them. I told her I could but since I would be watching them from 630 in the morning till 6 in the evening (minus school obviously ), I would have to charge her because I would be feeding them to meals and a snack 5 days a week. Not to mention the added work it is to take care of two extra kids, helping with homework, available if the school calls to pick them up Etc.

She said she could only afford to pay me $100 a week. This is interesting because she was prepared to put them in before and after school program. It would have been at $85 each a week. but I know she's a single mom and doesn't have a lot of money and I wasn't looking to make money off of her. I just wanted to have the money that it cost me to feed them and to do a few extras on their days off of school.

Well lately, she has been giving me some serious attitude. For example, we agreed that if they were sick when they woke up in the morning I would not be watching them. I also made it clear that I would not take sick children to school. One because it's unfair to their teacher and their classmates and true because most likely I would get called right back to the school to come get them. This was not a problem until last month when she called me up and told me that she couldn't miss work and she was going to have to drop off her kids one of whom would have to stay home. I reminded her that that wasn't the deal. she said that he'll just have to go to school. I even reminded her that I am NOT going to take the kids to school. She got upset and muttered something about but itS her kid and it should be her decision and what does she pay me for. I ignore the comment because I knew she was stressed out and never brought it up again.

she also mentioned that she doesn't like her kids watching so much TV in the afternoon. Well, many days I do take them out to do something fun. At the beginning of the school year I even had swimsuits here for them and we would go swimming for a little bit. however the past couple weeks weather has been miserable. Not just cold but rainy . So after their homework I do let them watch some TV. By the time we get home from school it's already about 3 o'clock they usually spend between half an hour and an hour on homework and so that means they're watching at most an hour and a half of TV before dinner. I really don't think an hour and a half of TV is that much. However I told her she is welcome to send things for them to do books to read or whatever. However I don't mind my kids watching an hour and a half of TV so I would not be turning off the TV. personally I think her issue is they get home from my house and she put them in front of the TV all night so she can play around on her computer. chicken brought up the fact that she's paying me. I reminded her that she is paying me just over half what she would pay the before and after school program and they would not provide her kids with dinner or breakfast and certainly wouldn't be providing her with dinner (I often send home leftovers with her so that she doesn't have to cook just for herself since her kids have already eaten).

The final straw came Monday. The kids all had off of school. I had planned on doing something fun with them all. However my husband's car needed to be worked on and he had to go to work. So he had to take my car to work while his was being worked on. obviously this means I couldn't go anywhere. I had planned on maybe taking them to the playground which isn't far but it was raining. So I decided to do a movie afternoon. They played in the morning and then we had pizza for lunch and watched a couple movies.

She called me Monday night after they got home upset that they had been watching movies "all day". I told her that they had not been watching movies all day but from maybe 1 to 5. So two movies. I also reminded her that we were home all day without a car and it was raining so I really didn't have any options in the way of taking them to do anything. They did played all morning and even got their homework done. She once again brought up the fact that she's paying me and expect better service than that. I snapped. I told her that what I am doing is a favor to her. I have 4 of my own children ages 7 months, 3 years, 6 and 9. we in no way need the money that she's paying as I said I spend most of it on the extra food and activities on days they have off and that I certainly don't need the extra headache. I reminded her that she is the one who asked me to do this and she did so knowing that I have 4 children. She said "well if this is how it's going to be that I think we need to readjust how much I'm paying you". I told her that I absolutely agree. I told her she will not be paying me anything anymore because I'm not watching her kids anymore. I told her I would watch them through the week so she could find child care but that's it.

Well I just got a text message from her saying that she hasn't been able to find anyone to watch the kids so if she doesnt find someone over the weekend she'll need to drop them off on Monday. I texted her back absolutely not. She texted back that if she can't find someone to watch them she can't go to work. She will get fired if she doesn't go to work till after school starts and she can't get off work before 6. I told her that I'm sorry but that sounds like her problem. She should have been more grateful for what I was doing for her.

My dh agrees and says that I've already been more helpful than he would be to his sister. However he did point out that she will probably drop her kids off Monday morning at my doorstep. I told him that if she does it will take them in because I'm not going to leave them sitting outside and it would take me longer to drive them to her work and drop them off then it would just to let them stay and take them to school. However I will text her that I will not be picking the kids up in the afternoon and she will have to go get them.

Update

many have asked for an update so here it is. I got a call last night from her saying that she hasn't found anyone so she's going to have to drop the kids off. I told her no. I reminded her that I texted last Monday telling her that I would finish up the week and then I was done. I also reminded her that I texted her the other day telling her that we won't even be home Monday morning. After that I got about a dozen calls from my mother in law. I knew she was upset so I didn't bother answering. So I took my kids out to breakfast this morning as planned we had a great time until I got a call from the police officer saying he's at my house and my niece and nephew had been dropped off there. Apparently, sil dropped them off and my nephew called my sister in law on hid cell and told her we weren't there. apparently she came back and decided to call the police on me. She told them that I was supposed to be there and it's a standing agreement and I abandoned her children. I talked with the police officer and showed him the text messages why I told her I would no longer be babysitting for her.He was clear that I was not in trouble. He said even ifI was supposed to babysit she can't have me charged with abandonment since as The patent it was her job to make sure that I was actually there. but then he turned to her and told her that in fact she's the one that could be in trouble because she's the one who left her kids. Even more so since she had been told I would not be there and I wasn't willing to watch her kids. He Said that he's handing the case off to Child Protective Services but that there was not anything to anyone for.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow that was long, sorry
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:18 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree with you 100%. She sounds vety ungrateful. Did you mean $185 for the school day care? Just want to clarify bc it only says $85 and I'm pretty sure school care is a lot more than that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:22 AM
She sounds entitled and Bitchy. I would totally take them to her work and drop them off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:24 AM
it's $85 for each kid per week. That's for before and after school care. However she probably would have ended up paying more because half the time she doesn't pick them up till 630 and with the before and after school program for every 10 minutes you are past six o'clock they charge you $10 per kid.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I agree with you 100%. She sounds vety ungrateful. Did you mean $185 for the school day care? Just want to clarify bc it only says $85 and I'm pretty sure school care is a lot more than that.
ArmyWife112908
by Mrs.Crane on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:25 AM
I agree with you
krusesbaby
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:25 AM
I read it as 85 per child per week. So 170/week? (I cant math lol)

Ya id be done too. She is ungrateful.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I agree with you 100%. She sounds vety ungrateful. Did you mean $185 for the school day care? Just want to clarify bc it only says $85 and I'm pretty sure school care is a lot more than that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:27 AM
I thought about it but she works 20 min away. That means if she drops them off at 6:30 I would have to wake up my kids up early drive 20 minutes there 20 minutes back and most likely my kids would be late for school and I probably would have used about a quarter tank of gas.

Quoting Anonymous 3: She sounds entitled and Bitchy. I would totally take them to her work and drop them off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM
exactly. it would be a hundred and seventy week plus any extra charges for her showing up past six o'clock which she often does. flush without you either have to feed them breakfast before they leave by school breakfast or send them with a breakfast and make them dinner when they get home. I handle all of that for them but a before and after school program only provides one after school snack

Quoting krusesbaby: I read it as 85 per child per week. So 170/week? (I cant math lol)

Ya id be done too. She is ungrateful.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM
Ah, that makes sense.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I thought about it but she works 20 min away. That means if she drops them off at 6:30 I would have to wake up my kids up early drive 20 minutes there 20 minutes back and most likely my kids would be late for school and I probably would have used about a quarter tank of gas.

Quoting Anonymous 3: She sounds entitled and Bitchy. I would totally take them to her work and drop them off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)