Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get a 9yr old to keep his hands OUT of his mouth????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

It is so disgusting and dirty, I can't take it anymore and he WILL NOT stop it.

HELP?????

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
incogNinja
by Whofflé on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:02 PM
Soak them in rubbing alcohol or something that tastes nasty
My 6th grade English teacher said her dad used to dip hers in chicken poop 😳
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:12 PM
Try hot sauce.

My two year old sticks her fingers in her mouth we just tell her to take it out. She does but it lasts for like 5 minutes
tinybluemoon
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:15 PM
They have cream especially for this. Unfortunately, it didn't work for my DD, who used to chew her hand, because she is a weirdo who actually enjoyed the taste of it. It tasted like a dirty ball sac.
AddictiveSide
by Don't worry-be happy on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:18 PM
Will he do it, if he is chewing gum?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:23 PM

Why don't you get him an OT eval?  Sounds like a sensory issue....I had a shirt chewer who literally explored the world with his mouth.  It was gross.  Eight weeks of OT at school (focused only on the mouth stuff) and I haven't seen him chew a shirt or put anything else in his mouth since.

BmoreRavens
by Raven on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:58 PM

The more of an issue that you make over this the more he is (most likely) going to continue to do it. 

It could be a nervous tic, an oral fixation, or anxiety; none of which is going to be addressed by doing nasty things like soaking his hands in alcohol or putting hot sauce on his hands. Doing those sort of things can, also, make matters worse.

Is this something new? If so, has there been any significant changes in his life? It's always best to try to get to the root of the problem; rather than just seeing it as gross behavior that you want stopped.

For now, I would calmly ask your son to handwash, often, in case he has something on his hands that could possibly make him sick. And I would ask him how he feels about the habit, and if it is something that he would like to stop? And, if so, ask him what he feels is the best way for you to help him to do so?

Also, you could try giving him healthy lollipops so that he can have something else available (to him) to put in his mouth besides his hands.

YumEarth Organic Lollipops, 12.3 Ounce Bag

• One 12.3 Ounce Bag of 50+ Pops
  • #1 Organic Candy Company formed out of a commitment to feed our families a diet rich in delicious healthful foods free of high fructose corn syrup and artificial dyes
  • Certified USDA Organic, All Natural, Real Fruit Extracts, No Artifical Colors or Flavors, No High Fructose Corn Syrup
  • Gluten Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Shellfish Free, Soy Free, and Wheat Free
  • 100% Vegan, Natural Flavors, and Daily Vitamin C, All Kosher Ingredients, Kosher Parve Kof-K

Product Description

YummyEarth was born out of our commitment to feed our children, Jonah and Rose, a diet rich in delicious healthful foods that are free of yucky chemicals, pesticides and dyes. YummyEarth tastes much better than mass produced chemical candy because we choose real fruit extracts and planet friendly organic ingredients to sweeten our lives and yours. Good for us. Good for mother earth. YumEarth treats are made with all-natural ingredients, no artificial colors or artificial dyes, no gluten, no peanuts, and no tree-nuts, just award winning taste.

Amazon

razorbackfan
by BadgerMom on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:01 PM
Sounds like a sensory thing. My son chews on stuff like his shirt and jacket. He has a sensory processing disorder. Have your son checked out and possiblely into OT.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:03 PM
My son is almost 14 and still chews on his shirt, cell phone, 3DS, pencils, etc. He doesn't bite his nails anymore.

He has sensory processing issues. May want to get that looked into. It is probably something he does to self soothe.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:08 PM
He has an oral need. I've worked with children who have a hard time with this. He needs to be busy with his hands. Gentle reminders. The bigger deal you make the worse it can be. Take note when and what is going on when he has his fingers in his mouth. Is he tired? Hungry? Upset? Bored?

By now it's both a need and a habit. You need to give him other options. He may need gum or something of that sort as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)