Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is wrong with me? *stomach pain

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
My doctor put me on omeprozole for gastritis two weeks ago. They based this on abdominal tenderness and the fact I had been taking ibuprofen. (As directed)

They didn't do any other tests. The pain has been getting worse over the last few days. A dull, burning feeling that goes from my stomach by rib cage through to my back is getting more painful and more frequent. And it's worse at night and I've been getting diahrea at night as well.

I cut out pop, coffee and all acidic foods.

I called their office this morning and they told me to come in today and have nothing to eat or drink till then.

What is wrong with me?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:24 PM
Sounds like gastritis. It took a few weeks for mine to ease up being on Prilosec. I did a brat diet at that time also so the inflammation would go down. I didn't take any ibuprofen though.
veggiemom474
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Stop the ibuprofen, it's really really bad for your stomach.

It's got to be something you're eating. The fact they just prescribed something for you infuriates me! I hate doctors.

You must be having a sensitivity to a food. I would try an elimination diet to see what food is bothering you. It may dairy, gluten, grains....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:27 PM
It seemed like it was getting better the first few days after starting the omeprozole. Now it just sucks. Is your gastritis worse at night? I am waking up all night long, and antacids only seem to help for a short while.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Sounds like gastritis. It took a few weeks for mine to ease up being on Prilosec. I did a brat diet at that time also so the inflammation would go down. I didn't take any ibuprofen though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:29 PM
It was up and down for me the first 2 weeks. I was told to take it 30 minutes before I ate and was taking it twice a day. It was always much worse at night so I started propping myself up because the acid was coming up at night.

Quoting Anonymous 1: It seemed like it was getting better the first few days after starting the omeprozole. Now it just sucks. Is your gastritis worse at night? I am waking up all night long, and antacids only seem to help for a short while.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Sounds like gastritis. It took a few weeks for mine to ease up being on Prilosec. I did a brat diet at that time also so the inflammation would go down. I didn't take any ibuprofen though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:29 PM
I have not taken ibuprofen since I went to the doctor. I wasn't thrilled either. I also have ibs so I'm already really careful about what I eat. :(

Quoting veggiemom474:

It's got to be something you're eating. The fact they just prescribed something for you infuriates me! I hate doctors.

You must be having a sensitivity to a food. I would try an elimination diet to see what food is bothering you. It may dairy, gluten, grains....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:31 PM
I'm taking 40mg once a day. I've been taking it in the morning. Maybe I need to switch to at night.

Quoting Anonymous 2: It was up and down for me the first 2 weeks. I was told to take it 30 minutes before I ate and was taking it twice a day. It was always much worse at night so I started propping myself up because the acid was coming up at night.

Quoting Anonymous 1: It seemed like it was getting better the first few days after starting the omeprozole. Now it just sucks. Is your gastritis worse at night? I am waking up all night long, and antacids only seem to help for a short while.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:34 PM
That might be better. Especially for dinner because the food will just sit in there sloshing around all night while you aren't mobile.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm taking 40mg once a day. I've been taking it in the morning. Maybe I need to switch to at night.

Quoting Anonymous 2: It was up and down for me the first 2 weeks. I was told to take it 30 minutes before I ate and was taking it twice a day. It was always much worse at night so I started propping myself up because the acid was coming up at night.

veggiemom474
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Have you tried a gluten free diet? I've learned a lot about digestion because my DD was extremely sick last year from gluten.

You won't get any answers from medical doctors. They know NOTHING about digestion. Even GI doctor's are clueless how food reacts and the symptoms it can give you. I seriously think you should see someone holistic. Any good holistic practitioner will tell you, the source of most illness is your gut/digestion. I have IBS too, and migraines. I go to acupuncture for it.

You don't need medication, you need a good holistic physician!

Quoting Anonymous 1: I have not taken ibuprofen since I went to the doctor. I wasn't thrilled either. I also have ibs so I'm already really careful about what I eat. :(
Quoting veggiemom474:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:37 PM
I typically follow the paleo diet. I haven't made any changes lately, that's why I can't figure out what happened.

Quoting veggiemom474:

Have you tried a gluten free diet? I've learned a lot about digestion because my DD was extremely sick last year from gluten.

You won't get any answers from medical doctors. They know NOTHING about digestion. Even GI doctor's are clueless how food reacts and the symptoms it can give you. I seriously think you should see someone holistic. Any good holistic practitioner will tell you, the source of most illness is your gut/digestion. I have IBS too, and migraines. I go to acupuncture for it.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I have not taken ibuprofen since I went to the doctor. I wasn't thrilled either. I also have ibs so I'm already really careful about what I eat. :(
Quoting veggiemom474:

veggiemom474
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:44 PM

Wow, that's great! Hmm, definitely need a knowledgeable holistic practitioner. You can rule out anything serious through your medical doc, but I would NOT seek regular treatment from one. They will only treat the symptoms.

Maybe you ate some contaminated food. You may have severe reactions to certain grains, and maybe something you ate was contaminated?

If my DD eats even trace amounts of gluten, she will be severely sick for month's. I mean month's from say maybe a bag of peanuts that were "made in a facility that processes wheat" You can be that sensitive.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I typically follow the paleo diet. I haven't made any changes lately, that's why I can't figure out what happened.
Quoting veggiemom474:

Quoting veggiemom474:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)