Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone in the medical field? or nursing moms with?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
Experience with surgery while nursing?
I had a d&c today for retained placenta. I was given sedative drugs through an iv. The anesthesiologist said I could nurse as soon as I got home but the nurse in recovery said pump and dump for 24 hrs. So I'm confused. Is it safe or not? Anyone know of any websites that give info on this?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2015 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 9:15 PM
What drugs were you given?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 9:18 PM
I know one was fentanyl... I can't remember the other I think it started with a p...

Quoting Anonymous 2: What drugs were you given?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 9:26 PM
Propofol?

Our anesthesiologists suggest pump and dump for 2 feedings after Propofol. We don't normally use Fentanyl though, and being a narcotic I'm hesitant to provide a suggestion.

Look on your discharge instructions and call the after hours service to reach the doctor on call to ask.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I know one was fentanyl... I can't remember the other I think it started with a p...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 9:28 PM
I would definitely ask your dr. Preferably an OB or your baby's pediatrician.
When I was given pain meds when nursing I was told to pump and dump for 24 hours.
Be sure that you have a complete list of the meds you were given.
If in doubt don't risk it is my opinion.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Did you contact a lactation consultant? They usually tend to know more than regular medical staff.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 9:30 PM
That might have been the name of it...
I've been pumping since 4 pm today when I got home... My supply isn't great and I'm afraid going the full 24 hrs will lower it even more :(

Quoting Anonymous 2: Propofol?

Our anesthesiologists suggest pump and dump for 2 feedings after Propofol. We don't normally use Fentanyl though, and being a narcotic I'm hesitant to provide a suggestion.

Look on your discharge instructions and call the after hours service to reach the doctor on call to ask.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I know one was fentanyl... I can't remember the other I think it started with a p...

polkaspots
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 9:32 PM
Look up lactmed. Its what I use to check meds, but I haven't had any surgeries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 9:32 PM
Kellymom has a good list.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2015 at 9:33 PM
No I wish I would have asked to talk to one though. Didn't think about it at the time...

Quoting quickbooksworm: Did you contact a lactation consultant? They usually tend to know more than regular medical staff.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2015 at 9:34 PM
Your best bet is to call the doc, especially if you can't recall the meds you received.

I would think your milk supply will be ok as long as you continue to pump though.

Quoting Anonymous 1: That might have been the name of it...
I've been pumping since 4 pm today when I got home... My supply isn't great and I'm afraid going the full 24 hrs will lower it even more :(

Quoting Anonymous 2: Propofol?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)