Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Move to Montreal from US?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
What would I have to do. Is it really difficult and expensive?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2015 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 6:21 AM

Are you a canadian citizen or have Dual citizenship? You cant just up and move to canada.

amandajoy21
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 6:28 AM
It depends on your current status. If you are currently an US citizen you will have to apply for either a work visa or citizenship. It can be expensive to do and will require a wait time before you can move. If you found a job their already the company may start the process for you and may even pay for it. Canada has a page much like our state dept page that explains the process.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 6:30 AM
Ohh you dont want to move here... You couldnt anyways if youre not a canadian citizen
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 6:36 AM

So I take it Canada has no immigrants then? I should move there. The US allows everyone inside its crazy.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Ohh you dont want to move here... You couldnt anyways if youre not a canadian citizen

A.Whovian
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 6:36 AM
Unless you have citizenship you can't just move to Canada.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 6:39 AM
Wrong. Theres ALOT of immigrants here but its just like the US, they let immigrants come in but dont let canadians.

If i could move i would. Things arent as good as they sound here.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

So I take it Canada has no immigrants then? I should move there. The US allows everyone inside its crazy.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Ohh you dont want to move here... You couldnt anyways if youre not a canadian citizen

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 6:52 AM

Well sure you could technically move here, IF you make it past the CBSA at the boarder when you try and cross, but you can't legally work here, would have no health care benefits, could not go to school here.  You have to apply for VISAs.  There are people that qualify for refugee status, but, considering that you are probably American I doubt that you would qualify for that.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:02 AM

You can fairly easily immigrate to Canada if you are a skilled worker or invest a minimum of 1.6 CAD into a business venture in Canada.

Still don't think it will necessarily help OP.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Well sure you could technically move here, IF you make it past the CBSA at the boarder when you try and cross, but you can't legally work here, would have no health care benefits, could not go to school here.  You have to apply for VISAs.  There are people that qualify for refugee status, but, considering that you are probably American I doubt that you would qualify for that.  

beeky
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:14 AM

I grew up in Montreal.

If you can't speak fluent french, don't do it!

ihave1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:21 AM
I call bullshit

Quoting A.Whovian: Unless you have citizenship you can't just move to Canada.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)