Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All this over some ugly boots?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:15 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this
This weekend we were at a family get together and my 12 yr old niece made a comment that my 2 and 4 yr old were wearing Uggs. She said to her mom "look even the babies have them! Why can't I?" To which my SIL replied "because they are spoiled brats and their mother likes to throw money away". What?!?! She didn't realize that I was in the kitchen within earshot when she said it. It was a snarky uncalled for comment but I ignored it for the time.

After we greeted everyone I was taking off the kids coats and I took off their shoes as to not track ice and salt in to my Aunts house. SIL was next to me while I was pulling the girls boots off and said "Ariana has been begging for those. I just can't being myself to spend so much when her feet are growing so fast". I was surprised she mentioned it. I agreed and said "absolutely. Luckily I get a bit more use out of things because I can pass them down between the 3 girls if they are kept in good shape". And I left it at that.

Is it a big deal really? No. But I don't think it's right to tell your child that my kids are spoiled or what she thinks I do with my money just because you don't want to buy something. What she chooses to purchase or not has nothing to do with me or my kids at all. Call me what you want but leave my kids out of it.
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:18 AM
3 moms liked this

It was rude and uncalled for. She took the easy way out. Insult your kids and make them at fault instead of telling her the truth. She cant afford an item like that.

I would cut her a little break tho. Its hard telling your kid no. Especially if its something they really want and you cant afford.

VicVinegar
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:20 AM
Ur ah, she sounds like a jealous, miserable twat
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this
I live in NH winter clothes are a legit investment because we wear it ALL winter and I feel is worth the added expense. My dds both wear uggs because they're cute, durable and easy for then to get on and off.

I'm actually a bitch so I'd buy my niece a pair and write a note how everyone deserves to be spoiled occasionally; )
SuckIt69
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
It was a rude comment. But she was probably frustrated with her daughter's constant nagging and just used that to shut her up. I wouldn't let it bother you too much. But, yeah, rude.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:23 AM

You're nicer than I am.  Once she mentioned the boots to me, I'd probably reply in a snarky mannner "Well my kids are spoiled brats you know....." to let her know I had overheard her rude comment.  I agree with you in regards to how you spend your money is your business.  She should just have told her DD "no" and kept her opinion of your children out of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:25 AM
My 3 year old has uggs as well and I overheard a similar comment. In the end I dont let it bother me because it just means you're jealous and you clearly don't have as much money as me if you do and don't buy your kid nice things your just cheap lol. Uggs will last a full season on my daughter in good shape when cheaper boots will be destroyed within a month.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:26 AM
I LOVE you the idea of buying the niece a pair with the note, brilliant!

Quoting Anonymous 1: I live in NH winter clothes are a legit investment because we wear it ALL winter and I feel is worth the added expense. My dds both wear uggs because they're cute, durable and easy for then to get on and off.

I'm actually a bitch so I'd buy my niece a pair and write a note how everyone deserves to be spoiled occasionally; )
Sparkler16
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:26 AM
Whether the issue is about being able to afford them or not, I don't know. To be honest at my nieces age I can totally understand not wanting to spend that much (she's out of kids sizes) when she's lucky to get one season out of them they way she's been growing.

My 2 yr old is wearing my 4 yr olds old pair from like forever ago that were hardly ever worn, and my 4 yr old had new ones this season that are a size big.

I could care less what she buys or not or for what reason. But don't call my kids names to get around it.

Quoting brettsmomma:

It was rude and uncalled for. She took the easy way out. Insult your kids and make them at fault instead of telling her the truth. She cant afford an item like that.

I would cut her a little break tho. Its hard telling your kid no. Especially if its something they really want and you cant afford.

Sparkler16
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:28 AM
That's what my husband said! He's like go but Ariana a pair to piss SIL off.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I live in NH winter clothes are a legit investment because we wear it ALL winter and I feel is worth the added expense. My dds both wear uggs because they're cute, durable and easy for then to get on and off.

Doodlesrevenge
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:28 AM

You are nicer than me.  I would have told her it is none of her damn buisness how I decide to piss my money away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)