Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not moving in with a parent cause of half siblings

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
I have a 21yo stepdaughter. My husband and I have a 6yo and a 4yo. For a year, my husband has talked about how she's going to move in this summer to save money and all that. My kids adore her and were soooo excited.

Now, she told him last week that she isn't going to. My husband was so surprised and he kept asking her why because he didn't get it, and she finally said because she doesn't want to live with my kids. My husband was so taken aback and asked what she meant and she just said they're annoying to live with, our house is too small so she has to be quiet at 7:30, and she hates being "nagged" to play all the time.

Wtf? My kids want her to play with them because they love her, and I don't think we were expecting too much for her to spend a couple hours a week playing and interacting with them. My husband is upset she won't be moving in and my kids are sad too. I personally wanna deck her. Ugh.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momeficient
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
She's 21, what do you expect?

My brother and sister are significantly younger than me and I couldn't wait to move out at 18 because they got on my last nerve bouncing off the walls at 6am.
donnag013
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Well, I totally understand. Don't you? I wouldn't want to live with a 4 and 6 year old in a small house, especially at that age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:38 AM
2 moms liked this
She's 21 I don't blame her. AT ALL
TiffanyRose06
by Hufflepuff on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:38 AM
2 moms liked this
You're taking it way too personally.

I'm sure she loves her siblings, but at that age I wouldn't want kids up my butt all the time either.
illneverbeold
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Don't be offended. She is just being an ass hat. I'd just tell her okay. She can scrape and work hard to accomplish her goals until she realizes she should have taken the opportunity. I have similar circumstances. Grown kids and the younger 2 will be 4 and 5 this year. We offer an open door to the girls, 23 and 21 but they are insistant on living like an adult. The oldest has also gotten ugly about the girls. It was just jealousy, and I brushed it off and put it back on her plate. I just say things like "I'm sorry you feel that way" and later she realizes she was being an ass hat and apologizes.

lukesmom2002
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't blame her. You sound like a peach.

dramaqueenizme
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:43 AM

I have younger half siblings and I LOVED living with them. I got to be a part of their lives in a way I was with my closer aged siblings. But I took my role as big sister with a lot of pride and people are all different I guess. 

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:44 AM

She's 21, I didn't want to play with my sisters at that age. Yes, I lived at home for a short bit when I was 21 and my mother expected me to babysit all the time. Once I was able to I moved out. I love my siblings but it was not what I wanted to be doing at that age.

AnonyMinnie
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM

She sounds like a typical teen, young adult who wants their freedom. Don't take it out on HER because she doesn't want to do the things you want her do, like play with your kids all day.

I go through the same thing with my sisters who are 17 and 18, they don't like their time interuppted by a child that isn't theirs. They don't want ot be hounded to play all day long. They are grown, they aren't kids. Leave her be.

Maime13
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

This sounds like a variation on the typical older sibling is evil theme.

I don't blame her a bit. What adult wants to have to be quiet at 7:30pm? What adult wants to play with little kids (that don't belong to them or they are not paid to attend to) every day or fussed over by small children?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)