Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this too much for a kindergartener?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:36 AM
  • 54 Replies
My dd is 6 she has half day kindergarten and then since I work two full time jobs she goes to another half day kindergarten program and at that school they noticed she is very advanced. they tested her and put her in the advanced kindergarten program which has been great and she still advanced in that class but last week she was given sight words to learn and is having trouble with them I believe they are way too much.
she was given two weeks to learn 51 words. I will post pictures in the comments do you believe this is too much how should I go about talking to her teacher?
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluebunbun
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:39 AM

We don't have advanced classes like that here. So I have no clue. I know our kindergartners start learning site words.

bluebunbun
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:40 AM
I've never heard of half day kindergarten. All of our students go full day and are required to know 52 sight words, all their letter names and sounds, and be reading fluently cvc words,all sight words, and words with simple blends by this time in the school year.
bluebunbun
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:41 AM
My dd6 is in full day Kindergarden and they learn 10 new words a month. 51 words in 2 weeks sounds extreme to me
AnonyMinnie
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:41 AM

My kinderson isn't in advanced K and his work thus far has felt like baby stuff. Or preschool. He was also given a packet of sight words, 90 percent of which he knows now. He's a smart one. 

Doesn't seem advanced at all and if so, not that much.

Oh and your packets look similar to the one my son has and he's managed to master most of it. Considering your kid is in some advanced things, you'd assume she would already know.

bluebunbun
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:42 AM
She had one booklet this is the second but it is 51 words to learn in 2 weeks not all year 2 weeks

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've never heard of half day kindergarten. All of our students go full day and are required to know 52 sight words, all their letter names and sounds, and be reading fluently cvc words,all sight words, and words with simple blends by this time in the school year.
strictmomhere
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:42 AM
My 6 year old has 24 sight words a week he learns them quick
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:42 AM
Looks like what DD was doing in Kindergarten. She was 5 though and went to all day K.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)