Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Primerica anyone?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:03 AM
  • 24 Replies
My sister just got started with Primerica. It's a multi level marketing system that sells term insurance policies and some other financial products. She's completely submerged in it and has given her recruiters all of her family's phone numbers to come and set up appointments which I wasn't too happy about.
My parents keep trying to talk her out of participating in it because it's a "scam".
Personally I think she's old enough to figure it out on her own if it's legit or not and I think it would actually be a good life lesson for her. I just don't want any of what they are selling and I certainly am not giving them any referrals.
When she initially set up the appointment she lied and said it was for her to practice her presentation in front of people she knows. My parents have already had their appointment and she never said a word the whole time. Her recruiter did all the talking and more than trying to sign you up with a policy they want you to be recruited and at least 3 referrals that they can go and try to recruit. They've been to my parents house 3 times now.
I researched all of the information I could find and decided that it wasn't for me. I told her if it really helped her I would listen to the sales pitch but I wouldn't sign with her or give her any referrals. Now she's mad at me.
Has anyone ever had a good experience with this stuff?
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:05 AM
I know a hand full of young women that work with Primerica, here in Las Vegas. They make great money and it is definitely legit! Good luck!
newwifenmom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:07 AM
I don't know about working for them but my mom has had insurance with them for almost 30 years.
LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:09 AM
Oh I know it's a real company and I have no doubt that some people make good money. But seriously they have a 2 star rating from consumer affairs and nothing but terrible reviews from customers and recruits. That's why I personally don't want to do business with them.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I know a hand full of young women that work with Primerica, here in Las Vegas. They make great money and it is definitely legit! Good luck!
LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:12 AM
Has she ever had trouble with her premium changing? I've read all kinds of stuff about getting a different rate than being quoted, premiums sky rocketing, and even some horror stories about them not paying out in the event of a death because the policy lapsed because they said it did. I'm not really in the market for term life, but I thought if it would help her we could switch our policy over to them. But after everything I've read it sounds way too risky.

Quoting newwifenmom: I don't know about working for them but my mom has had insurance with them for almost 30 years.
Sydel
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:17 AM

They tried to get me to work for them. I don't care for their marketing tactics but to be honest if she's going to do outside sales this is a good start to get comfortable with speaking to strangers and selling a product that is needed.

Death is a sure thing. Term life is good for a young single person or someone older whose not looking to leave their family with funeral costs.

The issues with Primerica I think it they hire anyone willing to sell. They don't invest in good candidates that want to make a career and know how to properly service an account. If you buy a policy and there is no service person then issues will arise. 

Just be firm with her. Tell her you are not interested but support her decision to sell. I would give her referrals to help out. Your friends and co-workers can easily tell her no if they are not interested. 

newwifenmom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM
She hasn't had any problems. Even when she couldn't work and had to reduce her policy that went over smoothly. She's never had experience with death payout though.

Quoting LittleRed80: Has she ever had trouble with her premium changing? I've read all kinds of stuff about getting a different rate than being quoted, premiums sky rocketing, and even some horror stories about them not paying out in the event of a death because the policy lapsed because they said it did. I'm not really in the market for term life, but I thought if it would help her we could switch our policy over to them. But after everything I've read it sounds way too risky.

Quoting newwifenmom: I don't know about working for them but my mom has had insurance with them for almost 30 years.
A.Whovian
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:29 AM
I don't like their tactics and have informed friends and family that if they refer me to them I will not be speaking to them again.
I don't need that bull in my life.
LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:29 AM
I won't do the referrals. I didn't appreciate having my number given out without permission and I wouldn't do that to any of my friends. I did say no and I'm still dealing with it 2 weeks later and she's mad at me.
My husband joked that he could give the names of some of his Co workers that he didn't like. But honestly, at this stage her recruiter is getting all of these referrals. I don't know when it switches over, but if I were going to give her anything I'd be giving it to her and not for her recruiter to get credit for.

Quoting Sydel:

They tried to get me to work for them. I don't care for their marketing tactics but to be honest if she's going to do outside sales this is a good start to get comfortable with speaking to strangers and selling a product that is needed.

Death is a sure thing. Term life is good for a young single person or someone older whose not looking to leave their family with funeral costs.

The issues with Primerica I think it they hire anyone willing to sell. They don't invest in good candidates that want to make a career and know how to properly service an account. If you buy a policy and there is no service person then issues will arise. 

Just be firm with her. Tell her you are not interested but support her decision to sell. I would give her referrals to help out. Your friends and co-workers can easily tell her no if they are not interested. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
It sucks....
LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:31 AM
Totally agreed. I want to keep my friends not piss them off!
Even if I thought they had a great product I wouldn't buy it because of the way they operate. We don't shop at Walmart for similar reasons. We don't agree with their business tactics so we don't support their business.

Quoting A.Whovian: I don't like their tactics and have informed friends and family that if they refer me to them I will not be speaking to them again.
I don't need that bull in my life.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)