Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your city have beggars / panhandlers?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:09 PM
  • 218 Replies
I live in a pretty small town but in the last couple years we have experienced exponential growth and with that came a lot of beggars, I guess some are gypsies and then others are just people who don't want to work. Kind of annoying and makes our once pretty city look a little bit trashy
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:13 PM
Yes. They hang out at the Walmart entrance and the freeway entrances.
redneckmama4
by Loree on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:14 PM
Yep, we have a ton! They get sent over from Seattle too, for our accommodations. We also get the rainbow people...we get them all lol.
supermama322
by Kaylee on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:14 PM
Not many, no.. but some. where I grew up does. I panhandled a lot as a kid there.
wnc413
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:14 PM
No, I haven't seen any here
ladyvamp5489
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, try looking up Eugene Oregon and the homeless, they are everywhere and even set up tents on the streets and on county property next to freeways!  They at one point had a tent city on the porch of the courthouse!  UGH 

CampHarris
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Tons where I work (Brea, CA), none where I live (Anaheim Hills).  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM
No. This is a very very small rural town.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Just wait. If a certain member comes she is going to correct you about using "gypsies" lol
that_mom_mary
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM
7 moms liked this
Yes, I worked at a place near the bus station and would have homeless people approach me asking for money or food, I'd usually buy them a sandwich. So I got a bunch of co workers to bring in old blankets, clothes, shoes and nonpershiables and we handed them out. It's called having compassion for human life.
Traci_Momof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Not really.  I live in a suburb of a large metropolitan area.  In the city I live in, I've never seen that happening.  Only about 5% of our population lives below the poverty level.

Once in a while, while driving around the metro area on the freeways, you'll see the people hanging around on the off-ramps with their signs.  But even that's not very often that I see them.  When I do see them they're not aggressive about it.  They generally don't come up to cars unless the driver motions them over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)