Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it fair to ask him to pay rent?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
DS is turning 18 soon and wants a job. I live in a rent controlled apartment because we are low income and when he's 18 having a job would make the rent jump $180 that I don't have. I told him this and he said I'm being unfair and I should support him completely until he's out of high school next year
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:06 PM
4 moms liked this

I would not charge rent if my kid is still in high school.

bresmommy21
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:07 PM

I dont see a problem charging him, hes an adult now. My rule when my oldest graduated was if she lived in my home she was to get a job and help out. In your case your rent is upping because of him, that would be him helping you out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I would never make my child pay rent, but then again I'm not low income
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:08 PM
But then we won't be able to afford to live here

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

I would not charge rent if my kid is still in high school.

isell_avon
by ehhhh! on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:08 PM

uhhh I think I would. My brother has been working since he was 14 yrs old and handed his money to my mom, I did the same thing when I turned 16. 

HAHuskey
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:10 PM
Maybe charge half.
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:11 PM
but now I understand that him working is actually going to cost you $180 but he is going to high school so he can only work probably part time. If he's going to pay you a hundred eighty dollars a month is it even going to be worth him working? I would see if he can do odd jobs for neighbors instead. I can't imagine he'd have much left over after paying you a hundred eighty a month so this might be a better solution
moma22angels
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:12 PM
If he's still in high school it shouldn't go up. Normally it's when they ate out of high school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:14 PM
3 moms liked this
No. He's in highschool. I consider this a cost of having a child. If you can't somehow find ways to cut out stuff for more room in your budget then you will have to move. This is ridiculous.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as my child was still in school, I would not charge them rent.  I can't belive that your rent would jump so much just from your child working a part time job, but I've never been low income and don't know anything about the benefits that you get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)