Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you quit your job even though your DH told you not to?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies
i have a job that pays great for what I actually do. I have amazing benefits (best benefits ever. I took golf lessons and it was covered). I don't dislike my job. It has its perks. Some really great perks. BUT.....

I have been working midnights for the last 19 years....yes. 19 years. I'm burnt out. There is no option for me to move to another shift or change departments. I want to quit.

My health is starting to suffer. I get little to no sleep anymore. Frankly I've tuned into a monstrous BITCH due to lack of sleep.

I discussed with my DH possibly quitting and finding a lesser paying job. He makes great money as well but has no benefits. We could afford to live on less, but he refuses to let me quit. We NEED the benefits.

We have one young toddler together. This is starting to interfere in our marriage. I'm constantly nasty and in a bad mood. We never have sex because he works days and I work nights. When I am off I'm trying to play catch up on sleep I don't get during the week.

I want to quit badly but he just throws a pile of bills in my face and says absolutely not. He won't even consider other options

I don't know how much longer I can continue working this shift. It's been now over half of my life working midnights.
I'm almost ready to pack everything in. Job and marriage and just walk and start over somewhere else with my son. No child deserves to grow up with an eternally grumpy, moody, miserable, on edge and short tempered mom
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ShadesofGrey
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Line up another job then quit.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:09 PM

I would never quit a job before having another one first. 

MicheleJM
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:09 PM

I'd go into financial or emotional counseling with him...financial so you can get the bills caught up before you quit and emotional because this means a lot to you.  You do want to find a decent paying job with some benefits so you're not in a bind with medical and bills.  On the other hand you're miserable and I'd tell him look I can't take it anymore.  Either help me figure out the best way to manage our benefits and bills when I quit or I do it without your input.  I will add you can also research other jobs, put in your resume and show this research to your dh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)