Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not sure if this is normal or not.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:32 PM
  • 38 Replies

but my youngest doesn't really talk, she is 18 months, and all she does really is scream and will throw her head on the floor or against us if she is mad or wants something. 

yall may not like me, but please do not be rude.....she has an appointment on the 16th with her pedi. 

by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmeow
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:35 PM
I'm no expert, but I think tantrums sound normal, however she should have some words I would think. It's good she has a doctor's appointment soon.
Suckit90
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:36 PM

tantrums i get....and she knows a few words....she'll say "mom, dad, i didn't do that." 

but mostly it's growling.

Quoting kmeow: I'm bo expert, but I think tantrums sound normal, however she should have some words I would think. It's good she has a doctor's appointment soon.

Kenre
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:37 PM
Mine who did that are special needs. Good luck. My daughter talked at that age and threw tantrums, but she also yelled words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmeow
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:38 PM
Well, in that case I'd say she sounds normal. Some toddlers have really explosive personalities and prefer grunts and features to words when they're that little. That's just me, but I bet she's a-okay.

Quoting Suckit90:

tantrums i get....and she knows a few words....she'll say "mom, dad, i didn't do that." 

but mostly it's growling.

Quoting kmeow: I'm bo expert, but I think tantrums sound normal, however she should have some words I would think. It's good she has a doctor's appointment soon.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:39 PM
She's only 18mos, give her time.
jabs54
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:39 PM

She's probably frustrated.  I had someone tell me as long as they babble it's normal and it just means they are a late talker.  Don't know if that's true though.  2 of my kids (the girls) talked early and my son talked late.  He went to speech therapy when he was 3.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:39 PM
She is throwing fits because she can't talk. Look of Barbara meiline on YouTube and have her start watching them 2 times day every other day.

Also try to teach her signs for want, more, please. It's hard but she can learn those till speech if her doctor doesn't refer you to speech call your local elementary school and ask for their special education program contact or look up cdsa
ArmyWife112908
by Mrs.Crane on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:40 PM
Sounds normal, I know mine when he was upset didn't make words just screams and grunts and as occasional momma in between.
Suckit90
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:41 PM

thanks. i know she is ticked off, her sister decided it'd be fun to jump in her crib until her sister woke up.

Quoting jabs54:

She's probably frustrated.  I had someone tell me as long as they babble it's normal and it just means they are a late talker.  Don't know if that's true though.  2 of my kids (the girls) talked early and my son talked late.  He went to speech therapy when he was 3.

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Sounds normal to me. As long as she has some words and keeps adding some words in the future. When they are around two years old is when they have a word burst. My oldest has speech delay and it was not till she was a two I started to really worry. She had the same 10-12 words. Her Dr and I talked and we waited another 6 months. She also had other things we did worry about.

Just encourage her to use her words and tell her what you want her to say or do. Try some sign language. That was a huge help for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)