Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get out of my lease a month earlier then when it ends?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:09 PM
  • 43 Replies

My lease ends on April 30th 2015. I signed my lease on April 18th 2014. I found a great place which is bigger and only $75 more but the guy wants to fill it in by April 1st. I talked to my current landlord about this but he won't let me off the lease early. He told me I would still have to pay for April's rent. When I signed my lease with him I payed 2 months worth of rent $1650 plus $500 security deposit. We had a verbal agreement that after 6 months of me paying on time I would be able to deduct $100 off my rent and pay $725 until my extra month's worth of rent ($825) ran out. So far I've used $500 of it. So he will have $325 left over if I leave by April 1st plus my security deposit of $500 so a total of $825 (exactly one month's rent). If I write him a letter stating this ^ do you think he will agree to me leaving early without having to pay upfront for April's rent? I don't have any experience with landlords. This was my first apartment. I mean in the end I am going to lose the money unless I can convince the new guy if I can move in May 1st and I don't know how easy that is.

The new place has been vacant for 2 months so I can understand why he wants to fill it by April 1st, but is it common practice for a landlord to wait an extra month for a tenant to move in if I offered to pay the security deposit ?

Sorry if this is all over the place.

by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hashtagRC
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:10 PM
There should be mention of early termination somewhere in your lease.
isell_avon
by ehhhh! on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Quoting hashtagRC: There should be mention of early termination somewhere in your lease.

I believe it says that I would be held responsible for the full term. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:13 PM
Look at your current lease and see what it says about leaving early. You could try also just asking your landlord to let you out a month early and cross your fingers
hashtagRC
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:14 PM
There's your answer, unless your landlord is a nice guy.

Quoting isell_avon:

Quoting hashtagRC: There should be mention of early termination somewhere in your lease.

isell_avon
by ehhhh! on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:16 PM

I talked to him yesterday and he said I'd have to pay for April's rent, but idk if he remembered that I would have $325 left over. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Look at your current lease and see what it says about leaving early. You could try also just asking your landlord to let you out a month early and cross your fingers

isell_avon
by ehhhh! on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:17 PM

He's an ok guy, I talked to him yesterday and told me I would have to pay for April's rent but I don't know if he remembered that I would have $325 left over. 

Quoting hashtagRC: There's your answer, unless your landlord is a nice guy.
Quoting isell_avon:

K123434
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:17 PM

Because it is spelled out in your lease, there is really nothing you can do except be paying double rent for one month. In the long term, if that's worth it, go for it. If not, you'll have to make other arrangements. That's just the way renting goes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:20 PM
Ask your current landlord if you can sublease to someone for a month, the person that sublets can sign a new lease after the month is over.
xoch86
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Well, I would ask him about it it.. Let him know what you told us and see if he will work with you..

Quoting isell_avon:

He's an ok guy, I talked to him yesterday and told me I would have to pay for April's rent but I don't know if he remembered that I would have $325 left over. 

Quoting hashtagRC: There's your answer, unless your landlord is a nice guy.
Quoting isell_avon:

isell_avon
by ehhhh! on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:22 PM

Quoting K123434:

Because it is spelled out in your lease, there is really nothing you can do except be paying double rent for one month. In the long term, if that's worth it, go for it. If not, you'll have to make other arrangements. That's just the way renting goes.

In the long run I think it is worth it. New place is a 2 bedroom/2 full baths, washer/ dryer/dis washer/huge kitchen and living room and I wouldn't have to pay for water/sewer/trash and it's only $75 more than what I pay now for a 1 bedroom 700sq ft apartment. It's very  hard to find a deal that good around this area. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)