Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think my child is overweight...need advice please! ETA!! UPDATE PICS ADDED ON PAGE 6

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies

My youngest DD is 6, she will be 7 in May. She is 51 inches tall and 65lbs. She is tall and her shoe size is a 2.

She has always been bigger framed. The doctor has never acted concerned. He just says she is tall for her age. But I am worried because she has already grown out of her 7/8 clothes. Not necessarily too tight but too short. Shirts and pants. She is not the best eater. She is very picky and has a horrible gag reflex. So its hard to FORCE her to eat certain foods. We do the 3 bite rule and she has gotten better. But still very limited on what she will eat. She does not, nor has she ever really liked sweets. So she doesn't eat very much of that. She likes different meats and likes to eat fish and chicken, cooked anyway. Veggies are a different story, we are working on it though. She likes apples and blueberries but that is pretty much it.

She is active, but could be more active. She takes hip hop and acro once a week and plays softball when its in season. But she would prefer to read or draw.

The weird thing is though is that her face, arms legs hands etc. don't look fat, her stomach does though. Anyways any advice on how to help her lose weight? And let me add SNACKS ARE NOT FREELY AVAILABLE TO MY KIDS. They are not allowed to just help themselves to everything in the cabinet. Myself, my husband and my oldest daughter are all healthy weight. Please help me out, I think my daughter is beautiful, but I don't want her at risk for health problems.

ETA: because some people seem to think I want to put her on a diet and work her to death! According to the BMI calculator it says she is overweight. So maybe I worded it harshly. I just do not want my child to end up with health problems because of her weight. Thank you to those who actually helped. To the others that took this post as my being shallow and trying to force her on a crazy diet, I am sorry I did not word it properly

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sydel
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:32 PM

I need a picture before I can give any opinion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:34 PM

My dd was that weight at 7.  She did get a little chunky, but by the time she was a teen , she was normal weight .  I do not think your dd is at risk for any health problems unless she got heavier.  Some kids are chubby in the preteen years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:35 PM

I am on my work computer :) so I can't post a pic. My phone is dead. I will add one once I get home and charge my phone.

Quoting Sydel:

I need a picture before I can give any opinion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:36 PM
My son is 49in and 70lbs he's not fat but has a round belly. Your daughter sounds like she's fine.

ETA he turns 8 in August.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MAXnBRYCESMomma
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Kids get chunky, and thin out as they grow. If the dr is showing no concern, thats probably the likely reason.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:38 PM
You sound like a shallow asshole.
momtoBrenna
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:38 PM

Your dd is at the edge according to bmi but if she's muscular and active, she's fine.

HAHuskey
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
If her doctor isn't concerned, she's not growing out of her clothes width ways(just length), and she is eating simi-healthy, I wouldn't worry. If you put her on a diet or make her exercise vigorously without talking to her doctor about what's best for her, you could actually hurt her. I'd call her doc and explain my worries before I made decisions based off of random internet strangers that have no idea about what her body looks like, her medical history, her family history, her allergies, her over all health(mental and physical.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:41 PM

I sound like a shallow asshole because I am concerned for my childs health?? She is 6 years old and I am having to buy her size 10 clothes. I have for a long time just said she is just big boned. But when I had to order the size clother my 12 year old literally wore just last year in 5th grade for my 1st grader it concerned me.

Quoting Anonymous 4: You sound like a shallow asshole.

DallasCowboys81
by Don't live in Texas! on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:41 PM
Kids get chunky then grow tall. She could be in the beginig of a growth spurt. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd like to see a pic also.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)