Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LICE!!!! help....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
We have them. Stupid private school gathering.

What do I do?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:36 PM
I have the creme rinse on. How crazy do I have to go in cleaning my house? I am so grossed out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:41 PM
They both need their beds stripped too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:43 PM
Anyone dealt with this?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:43 PM
Just waiting to rinse it out.
Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Use the stuff on their hair. Also you have to sit and comb through it and pick out any live ones and eggs you see. You will have to do this for a few days till nothing is left. It took us three days with all my girls the one time we got it. Future note put tea tree oil in your shampoo. It helps from getting them. They don't like it.

Vacuum like crazy. Wash everything you can in hot water. What you can't bag for two weeks. I also used tea tree spray all over the house. I just put 10-12 drops in a spray bottle.

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:51 PM
Don't want to freak you out OP, but it's a huge process to get rid of them. I worked in a preschool for ten years, so this is what you need to do:

- clean and strip everything... And I mean everything. Clothing, bedding, any type of fabric in the house needs to be washed in hot water. I personally would vacuum the couches, rugs, and mattresses and then there is a spray you can use as well. I don't know how effective that is. Stuffed animals can be put out of the house until the love is gone. If a child is very attached to one throw it in the dryer for a while.

- boil brushes, combs, anything that goes in the hair.

- unfortunately live is becoming immune to over the counter treatments which are toxic anyway. There are some home remedies that work better. Vaseline, mayonnaise, baby oil from what I've heard all can be applied very generously to the hair and left on for at least four hours with a shower cap (don't let a child sleep with a shower cap!) and then ALL lice and eggs removed.

- no matter which treatment you use, you will need to spend time doing the very tedious task of combing through the hair to find every egg and removing it. It's a long process, but important. For the next couple of weeks go through the hair each day to get any new eggs. Obviously the treatments can't be used more than recommended, but the Vaseline or mayo can be used more often if needed.

I'm sorry OP. It's a nightmare, but if you manage it from the beginning you'll be happy you did.
Velisity
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:52 PM

If you do a leave in treatment, DONT put your kid to bed with a plastic bag over their head.. I just read about a family that lost the daughter because of this reason.. So freaking sad.

ETA: They put Mayo in the daughter's hair to leave in over-night. The mom tied a plastic bag over the kids hair/head and put her to bed. While sleeping it slipped over her face and suffocated her. Just wanted to clarify that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:59 PM

I was fighting this for 2 weeks with my dd. I was going insane! Finally I bought LiceMD, the gel. It worked GREAT! You have to comb and comb to make sure you get all the nits (eggs). That's the problem, if you miss one egg it could hatch then your right back where you started from. Even after combing and combing, you have to get under a bright light and inspect every inch of their hair looking for nits and pull them out. 

Wash everything in hot water and dry on high. If it can't be washed or vacuumed put it in a air tight plastic bag for 2 weeks. 

Vacuum your car too. They could be on your seats, also car seats. 

After you've used the treatment you can use olive oil to make it easier to comb through. You don't want to use the chemical treatments too close together. The LiceMD is chemical free so is LiceFree. 

From my recent experience I"d recommend the LiceMD for sure! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 8:01 PM
I tried the mayo one once, left the crap on my head ALL day and it was not a bit effective. I started combing every day for a week with the special comb and finally got rid of the bastards. I caught them from my roommates kids. She finally treated them after they were humiliated getting their hair cut once. She took them to the trade school salon and the teenagers refused to cut their hair. She knew they had it, that's why she wanted their hair chopped short. I kept telling her there was a much better way because a hair cut wasn't going to help lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)