Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long are you obligated to keep "heirlooms"?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

I seem to be the one in my family that all the "heirlooms" go to.  I put that in quotes because everything seems to be an heirloom and I am out of space.  All my cabinets and half my garage is dedicated to stuff I would never use or display.

I understand my mom made that needlepoint or this Wedgewood ashtray was bought by my grandfather, but the needlepoint is ugly (in my opinion, I do understand it is someone's taste) and I would never, under any circumstances, display an ashtray and there is no way to disguise it like it isn't an ashtray.

The good china went to my sibling even though I was promised it and now I am getting all this stuff and I don't have room or want it.  But I feel obligated to keep it.  Problem is compounded when I am going to be downsizing to hopefully a condo in a year or two so I need to get rid of the non-essentials.

So what do you do?  

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Molz09
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:25 PM
I'd ask if the person would like it back and tell them you just don't have room to store them
FrumpyPigSkin
by Don't Burn The Pig on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:26 PM
Any family you can pass the love on down too?

ETA: that doesn't sound right. Do you have any other family that would enjoy getting some family heirlooms?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:29 PM

I'm doing that now so there will be no new heirlooms, but I still have a buttload of old ones.  I can't tell my parents to take back stuff they are giving me when they are downsizing.

I don't want to hurt my parents so I wanted to know if there is some sort of ettiquite I could fall back on if they ask where the lovely (ugh) bejeweled POS is.

Quoting Molz09: I'd ask if the person would like it back and tell them you just don't have room to store them

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:31 PM

I have kids, but I have stuff that I want to pass down and the thought that I have to pay for storage for all this crap that my kids probably won't want for at least 10 years really stinks.

My sibling is getting divorced and we don't really talk.  I bet the spouse is getting my china in the divorce (yes I am still bitter about it).

Quoting FrumpyPigSkin: Any family you can pass the love on down too? ETA: that doesn't sound right. Do you have any other family that would enjoy getting some family heirlooms?

Molz09
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:32 PM
Ohhhh gotcha. I'm not sure on any of that :/ most of the heirloom items I love, or they're kept at my parents house in storage.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I'm doing that now so there will be no new heirlooms, but I still have a buttload of old ones.  I can't tell my parents to take back stuff they are giving me when they are downsizing.

I don't want to hurt my parents so I wanted to know if there is some sort of ettiquite I could fall back on if they ask where the lovely (ugh) bejeweled POS is.

Quoting Molz09: I'd ask if the person would like it back and tell them you just don't have room to store them

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:34 PM

If you think it's junk I would just get rid of it.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Since you're going to be downsizing, that's the perfect opportunity to let each person know that & offer them their crap, I mean heirlooms, back. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:46 PM
If you hate it and you are confident no sibling or cousin wants it, let it go.
PogoPalOj
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:50 PM

I would carefully sort through everything, tag it and start calling relatives and let them know if someone doesn't take it it is going in a yard sale.credit card

dawnrothbaum
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:52 PM

Yard sale, they can buy it back if they think it is so valuable. I do not like chochki things, and I definitely do not want other people's crap. The next time they try to give you something, say "No, Thank You". My FIL thinks he is unloading his house on us when he "cleans it out". Hell no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)