Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tongue piercing info please

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:25 PM
  • 13 Replies

Ok, you guys are the most pierced people I know of, so I'm coming to you for a question.

My 20 year old daughter got her tongue pierced.  My husband went ballistic.  I'm not too thrilled wither, as there is documented evidence of dental problems with them.  We asked her to remove it, she said she would..  That was 2 weeks ago.

Today, through her sister, we found out she still had it.  I asked about it, she said that she talked to the piercing guy, and he said it should heal more before it's removed.  I don't tend to believe that - but I really don't know. 

So - is it true?  Is that any basis in fact.

And - so that you don't think we're just being assholes about it, yes, she is 20.  We are paying her college and all living expenses (out of state), as we did with her siblings.  The deal is, we pay for this, she (and her siblings) don't do stupid shit.  And she was well aware - ahead of time - that tongue piercing fall into our "stupid shit" category.

by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnonyMinnie
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:30 PM

I don't think it falls into stupid shit. It's just a piercing. I have had one for 10 years now and never had ANY dental problems.

I don't know that you should let it heal first. I have never heard that at all. Let the girl keep the damn thing, damn you are mad strict. =/

firebird78
by JKL's mom on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:32 PM
I don't have any issues whatsoever with mine
Had it ten yrs in November
What I would do is call one of the piercing places and just ask them
I think she just really wants to keep it lol
kee1006b
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:35 PM

She's 20.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:35 PM
She's an adult, get the fuck over it.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Of course she wants to keep it, otherwise she wouldn't have done it.

There is ilittle we restrict -she (and her siblings before her) are away at college.  She's trying to get a law internship - for HER and for US - it's stupid shit.  And she knew it when she did it.  She got a tattoo - I don't like them, but hey, all my kids have at least one, as does my husband.    She got her nose pierced - I didn't like that, but let it go (although I did insist on a stud rather than a ring for her brothers wedding).

When we are paying $50K a year for her to get an education, there are going to be a FEW things.  This is the only one we've come up against.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:40 PM
My parents were less than pleased with my tongue piercing too. I wasn't dependent on them for money though so I kept it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:40 PM
Once it is fully healed she can replace it with one that has plastic balls on it instead of metal it will cut down on dental problems

As far as her reasoning it has to heal more before she can remove it I've never heard of that
raggedpoppy0
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:33 PM
I had my tongue pierced for about four years when I started having problems. I always wore plastic balls instead of metal because they were supposed to be easier on your teeth but that didn't help. My gum line behind my two bottom front teeth started receding and eventually those two teeth were loose. The dentist basically told me if I kept it it was likely I would lose those teeth. I took it out about 7 months ago and my teeth are no longer loose, but I can't undo the receding.

Anyway, I don't know if letting heal up before taking it out matters, but she is 20 so idk what you can really do about it.
Maks1mommy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:36 PM
Holy controlling parents, batman.
KarissaA
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:41 PM

I got my tongue pierced when I was 18, and I still have it at 32.  It hasn't caused me any dental issues.  

Yes, it needs to heal before she takes it out because she is probably only planning to take it out when you're around and put it back in when you're not.

They make clear plastic "spacers", I wore one to work after mine was done.  Maybe that would be a compromise?

FTR, I don't think self-expression is stupid shit, but it's not my kid and I'm not paying her bills. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)