Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To parents who are against spanking...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 99 Replies

What do you do when your child is basically beating your ass in public? I notice a lot of parents who don't spank have out of control kids, but I guess it depends on the kid. My son is 3 and I have mixed views on spanking. As of right now, he can't do anything that's deserving of a spanking because he's so young. I always can discipline him by correcting him in a stern voice. But, as he gets older I really would like to stay away from spanking. I was spanked as a child, BUT not abused. I love my parents and respect them to this day. The spanking put fear in me not to disrespect them when I was younger, though. Is that a bad thing?

edit: what do you do when your child is acting out of control in public period: hitting, and/or yelling, etc.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:51 PM
Take the child back to the car until they calm down. We went out to dinner tonight and no one even noticed my daughter was there. We dont spank and she's pretty good in public.
Brujaoscura
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I was a childhood development teacher. I had all these wonderful theories about how I would raise my kids and never yell, never spank, yadda,yadda....

That flew out the window the day my kid darted in front of a moving car. Do I regret the pop on the bottom and raised voice- of course... but I reacted because he was in danger!

I have reserved spanking for when every other method- time out, priveleges taken, raised voice, and everything  else failed... my kids- for the most part- are civilized human beings who think- and have said- that I was justified in spanking them when I did.

AngelLovingLife
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:55 PM
I have never and would never hit my children. When they misbehave, we remove them from the situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:56 PM
How do you know who spanks?
couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:56 PM
I wonder the same
makenit
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:57 PM
3 moms liked this
Your child beats your ass, OP? Maybe something more than typical little kid acting out going on there
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:57 PM
I've never experienced such out of control behavior from my children. My children know the expectations and the consequences of not following those expectations. No need for spanking. I have great kids and get told that all the time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:59 PM
We don't spank and my kids are very well behaved. They've had their moments as all kids do but nothing that would make me hit them and nothing that I can't resolve.
Statistically kids that are spanked are more physical, violent, anxious and act out versus their non spanked peers.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

What do you do when your child is basically beating your ass in public? I notice a lot of parents who don't spank have out of control kids, but I guess it depends on the kid. My son is 3 and I have mixed views on spanking. As of right now, he can't do anything that's deserving of a spanking because he's so young. I always can discipline him by correcting him in a stern voice. But, as he gets older I really would like to stay away from spanking. I was spanked as a child, BUT not abused. I love my parents and respect them to this day. The spanking put fear in me not to disrespect them when I was younger, though. Is that a bad thing?

ShaMac
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:59 PM
This! I was always consistent. She has always been pretty good though.

Quoting wkukid: Take the child back to the car until they calm down. We went out to dinner tonight and no one even noticed my daughter was there. We dont spank and she's pretty good in public.
polkaspots
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:59 PM
I've never hit my kids intentionally and my kids have never attempted to beat me. I've been smacked, pinched and hit, but not by kids old enough to know better. Right now the big punishment is having toys/coins taken away. Thee five and three. I also have a one year old, but all I have to do is scold him and he stops.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)