Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

runny noses and fevers are NOT bad things.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Within the normal range (up to 102 degrees ) a fever is not bad, and neither is a runny nose or cough. These things are your body fighting and ridding itself of illness. I keep seeing people giving their kids medicine left and right for every sniffle and slight fever, it's not helping them.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:34 AM
Word.
seeds37
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:36 AM
Ditto
polkaspots
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:36 AM
Agreed.
Unless the kid is having trouble eating and sleeping. I medicate kids with fevers and congestion when they can't sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slb235
by Grammar Police on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:37 AM

Researchers have identified a naturally occurring bacteria in the human gut that keeps people from developing food allergies. This beneficial gut bacteria diminished with frequent antibiotic use at a young age — making children more susceptible to food allergies later in life.

Anonymous17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
So many people do not understand that these are not symptoms of the illness but symptoms of the body fighting the illness.
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:40 AM
Right. Keep telling yourself that.

My oldest can't have a fever. It means an immediate trip to the er no questions asked. He has a heart condition.

My youngest can't have a fever either. He has already had viral menegitis. He is only 5 monthS.

Soooo, yeah. Fevers are a big deal in our house.
Rooobeee
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:42 AM

I hear you. I give advil/tylenol for fevers of 100+. Doctor's visit if it goes over 102. As for colds, I do try to cut it off at the beginning, especially for my youngest (who is 14). The last time she had a cold, she knew it was coming at least a day in advance because it always starts off with a sore throat. However with her, I know that if I let it get bad, she would be out of school for days. So, I told her she was staying home (which happened to be a Friday) and that I would be doping her up with drugs. Gave her Nyquil, let her sleep and by Monday, all she had was the sniffles. If I had let it go in the beginning, she would have been out at least 2 or three days.

Rooobeee
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:50 AM

Your kids are exceptions to the rule because of their health issues. Especially your oldest. However, for most kids who are usually healthy, then small fevers and runny noses aren't a big deal. As a matter of fact, most doctors will advise parents to keep kids home for fevers under 102 unless they are showing flu-like symptoms or are extremly lethargic.

With my kids, I usually know what to expect when they get sick, so I can usually tell if a doctor's visit is needed.

And the same goes for you. You know your kids, you know what to expect, and you'll know if a doctor's visit is necessary based on each situation.

Quoting happymommy1105: Right. Keep telling yourself that. My oldest can't have a fever. It means an immediate trip to the er no questions asked. He has a heart condition. My youngest can't have a fever either. He has already had viral menegitis. He is only 5 monthS. Soooo, yeah. Fevers are a big deal in our house.

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:54 AM
It does get old though. Having to go to the doctor so much.

to be honest, sometimes I'm a little jealous of parents who don't have these issues.

I would like to be able to say "it's just a fever".

I get tired of "it's a fever....is he going to have a heart attack? Does he need a heart? Is now the time when we have to stay at the hospital? "

Sometimes posts like this get to me. Just because.....it's not always "just a fever"

Quoting Rooobeee:

Your kids are exceptions to the rule because of their health issues. Especially your oldest. However, for most kids who are usually healthy, then small fevers and runny noses aren't a big deal. As a matter of fact, most doctors will advise parents to keep kids home for fevers under 102 unless they are showing flu-like symptoms or are extremly lethargic.

With my kids, I usually know what to expect when they get sick, so I can usually tell if a doctor's visit is needed.

And the same goes for you. You know your kids, you know what to expect, and you'll know if a doctor's visit is necessary based on each situation.

Quoting happymommy1105: Right. Keep telling yourself that.

My oldest can't have a fever. It means an immediate trip to the er no questions asked. He has a heart condition.

My youngest can't have a fever either. He has already had viral menegitis. He is only 5 monthS.

Soooo, yeah. Fevers are a big deal in our house.

Rooobeee
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:41 PM

I can understand how you feel. When my son was little, he had asthma (still does, but not as bad). It pained me everytime he got a cough. With him, a fever was just a fever, but a cough, that was something else. Fortunately, he only had an asthma attack once in his life, and he was already in the hospital because of his breathing when he was a baby. It was really scary seeing a 10-month old having an asthma attack.

Thankfully, his asthma became more tolerable and as he grew older, he learned what he could or couldn't do in order not to trigger it.

No mom likes to be constantly in the hospital because their kids are sick. So, I am truly hoping that your hospital has a wonderful staff that makes your son's stay a little more bearable when he does have to go.

I wish you and your kids the best.

Quoting happymommy1105: It does get old though. Having to go to the doctor so much. to be honest, sometimes I'm a little jealous of parents who don't have these issues. I would like to be able to say "it's just a fever". I get tired of "it's a fever....is he going to have a heart attack? Does he need a heart? Is now the time when we have to stay at the hospital? " Sometimes posts like this get to me. Just because.....it's not always "just a fever"
Quoting Rooobeee:

Quoting happymommy1105: Right. Keep telling yourself that. My oldest can't have a fever. It means an immediate trip to the er no questions asked. He has a heart condition. My youngest can't have a fever either. He has already had viral menegitis. He is only 5 monthS. Soooo, yeah. Fevers are a big deal in our house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)