Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What made you decide to be a nurse?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 100 Replies
In what field are you a Nurse? What made you choose that area to nurse in?

Most importantly, are you happy?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:43 AM
I'm going to start school in the fall to get my nursing degree. I'm going to be a pediatric oncology nurse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:44 AM
I have my four year degree and my RN. I specialized in pediatrics, but also did emergency.
I didn't love being a nurse. So I haven't used my degree for a paying job for several years. I do volunteer at a local hospice now to keep my license current in case I change my mind.
SusanD
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:46 AM
I've worked in outpatient procedures/day surgery, ER/Trauma, and rheumatology/infusion nursing. I currently work in nurse management.

All of them have perks and downsides. The day surgery had good hours, but was a bit dull. The ER/Trauma was the most exciting. However, it was the most stressful and most dangerous. In rheumatology it was more laid back and I had much more autonomy. Now, my current position is a dream job. I make my own schedule, have autonomy, the pay is great, and I love it. Sadly we are moving later this year and I will have to leave my current job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:47 AM
aw that sucks :( sorry to hear that

Quoting SusanD: I've worked in outpatient procedures/day surgery, ER/Trauma, and rheumatology/infusion nursing. I currently work in nurse management.

All of them have perks and downsides. The day surgery had good hours, but was a bit dull. The ER/Trauma was the most exciting. However, it was the most stressful and most dangerous. In rheumatology it was more laid back and I had much more autonomy. Now, my current position is a dream job. I make my own schedule, have autonomy, the pay is great, and I love it. Sadly we are moving later this year and I will have to leave my current job.
Anonymous
what didn't you like about it?

Quoting Anonymous 3: I have my four year degree and my RN. I specialized in pediatrics, but also did emergency.
I didn't love being a nurse. So I haven't used my degree for a paying job for several years. I do volunteer at a local hospice now to keep my license current in case I change my mind.
Anonymous
what made you choose that area?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'm going to start school in the fall to get my nursing degree. I'm going to be a pediatric oncolgy nurse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:48 AM
Med - surg trauma/orthopedic unit. It was my first job offer out of school. I'm waiting for my 1 year anniversary to move on because i work nights with 5 to 6 patients and most of the time feel like ive done nothing except push meds and chart. I want to be in a position where i can spend more time with patients. Something like working with an endocrinologist and doing diabetes education.
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:48 AM
I wanted to specialize in geriatric/oncology.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:50 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to go anon.

My DD has cancer, and I've become really interested in what they do. Her nurses are absolutely amazing. I also think that I'd have an interesting perspective, from being on both sides of the situation...

Quoting Anonymous 1: what made you choose that area?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'm going to start school in the fall to get my nursing degree. I'm going to be a pediatric oncolgy nurse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:51 AM
sorry to hear about your precious daughter
that's a great reason

Quoting LucyMom08: Sorry, didn't mean to go anon.

My DD has cancer, and I've become really interested in what they do. Her nurses are absolutely amazing. I also think that I'd have an interesting perspective, from being on both sides of the situation...

Quoting Anonymous 1: what made you choose that area?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)