Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you take this class or put your child in it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

So I have offered to teach Children's sign language ages 5 and up. I am debating which approach to go. I think I pretty much have made up my mind overall. Thought I would ask you ladies.

The Lesser Approach:
Signing Time franchise sign language program. The nice thing about this program it is written, comes with worksheets, they are fun worksheets and i would have very little I would need to do. Parents can opt to pay 125 bucks for the videos for the sessions and have the videos to review and watch at home. The program has a lot of praises by a lot of people that teach or interpret. I think its a good program... However...

I dislike the idea that parents will be tempted to stop taking or signing their child up for class and think they will continue to learn sign language at home (since they have the videos). It is almost rare any one will continue to practice or learn. Secondly, sign language is best learned if you practice plus interact with others aside from family at home. If the child is only taking it, then they are not practicing at all in aspect learning, and doing it both.

My Approach:
Write my own program similar to Signing Time. It will require a lot of work on my part but overall, it will be predictable, I can change it as I need. The downfall is, it wont come with all the fancy videos, fun worksheets and so forth. While you can look up signs online (video wise) I do encourage this if they should forget how to do a sign. Not giving them the entire program at once will encourage them to keep coming to class and practice their sign interactions.

In my class, it will be designed they will practicing signing in class they will learn to read sign through me as I will only speak in sign language. We will play games and keep working on body language, facial expression and so forth. More than what you will ever get compared to a video kit for 125 bucks.

So what are your thoughts? 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tunabucket
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:19 AM

Wait, if you only sign, who is interpreting so that they know what the signs are. That comment at the end lost me.

Tunabucket
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:20 AM

Do you just point at something and then sign for it? Make a face and then sign for it?

tinybluemoon
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:23 AM

Nope.

If I were to send my kids to a face-to-face class it would be through an accredited school/organization.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:24 AM

Oh I can speak naturally I will be speaking when they do the introduction class. But the point is as they learn more they become dependent on people speaking and telling them the sign. It will help them learn better if they actually interact with someone that would be hard of hearing or deaf. That is the point of class. They will be told not to speak to eachother in class and to finger spell if they dont know the sign or do acting.

Quoting Tunabucket:

Wait, if you only sign, who is interpreting so that they know what the signs are. That comment at the end lost me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:24 AM

This is through the school.

Quoting tinybluemoon:

Nope.

If I were to send my kids to a face-to-face class it would be through an accredited school/organization.

ms.renae
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:36 AM
I like the first option better thats how I learned to sign.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:34 AM

They have online ASL video dictionary for free. My issue with option one is that it discourages parents from attending class thinking they will learn it at home. This is not true. Videos are still availaable online for free.

Quoting ms.renae: I like the first option better thats how I learned to sign.

strungoutmom
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:54 AM

why can you not combine 1 and 2 together some how.  Use your idea's but also add the video's as well as another  learning tool they can use at home to practice with during the weekends, after school ect. 

And make it noted to the parents that it is important that they also come to the class if they are able to and it works around their work schedule to learn ASL as well or make it like a child parent class for the younger ones. 

I wished I had this when I was growing up. I  am hearing impaired according the Audiologist  Guidelines.  I am to wear 2 hearing aids but not able to afford them right now. 

I like the idea oh how you will teach the students the words in sign and after they have enough vocabulary under then to only Sign in Class. 

My middle daughters Spanish Teacher did this as well in HS.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:02 AM
Neither. My French teacher would do days where she only spoke French, and halfway through the period there would be a crap load of people sitting around just looking up words. I guess it is a bit different with ask since your students won't be figuring out how to conjugate verbs, but it still sounds like an infuriating class.
I would choose the first option for myself and neither for a child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:33 AM

For one you cannot copyright a Franchise program. Either you use it and follow it or you use your own. Two they require training sessions and yearly fees! I am not sure I am crazy about the fees. Again videos are available online for free (not hers but there are ASL video/dictionaries) online for free.

I can pretty much duplicate her program. The only difference is, she aleady has all the paper work done.

Quoting strungoutmom:

why can you not combine 1 and 2 together some how.  Use your idea's but also add the video's as well as another  learning tool they can use at home to practice with during the weekends, after school ect. 

And make it noted to the parents that it is important that they also come to the class if they are able to and it works around their work schedule to learn ASL as well or make it like a child parent class for the younger ones. 

I wished I had this when I was growing up. I  am hearing impaired according the Audiologist  Guidelines.  I am to wear 2 hearing aids but not able to afford them right now. 

I like the idea oh how you will teach the students the words in sign and after they have enough vocabulary under then to only Sign in Class. 

My middle daughters Spanish Teacher did this as well in HS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)