Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could you do it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
I read an article a while back (can't find it online to link it) about a young mother in Somalia walking to a refugee camp. She had 3 children I believe they were 9, 4, and 18mo. The four year old was extremely sick, and starving. It came to the point where he could no longer walk on his own. She tried to carry him and the baby but could not. The 9yo wasn't strong enough to carry either of the younger children for long. Two days from the camp the four year old was no longer responsive. The young mother left the child in the shade of a tree. She successfully walked the two children to the camp. A day later she left the camp (her children in the care of another mother) to see if she could save her son. When she got there he was gone.

Could you do it? Sacrifice one child to save your other children?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:20 AM
No idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:27 AM
That's my answer too... :(

Quoting notjstasocermom: No idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:52 AM
I wouldn't just leave him there alive. If the situation were all that dire then I would break his neck or something. Who knows what happened to him. I think I would make a sled or something out of sticks to drag someone though or something.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:07 AM
I think only if I had no other choice. I imagine it must have been heartbreaking for her... I think either way I'd feel like I failed my children - although I don't feel that way about the woman in the story.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:17 AM
I know what you mean, I hope I wouldn't give up if I were in that situation

Quoting Anonymous 2: I wouldn't just leave him there alive. If the situation were all that dire then I would break his neck or something. Who knows what happened to him. I think I would make a sled or something out of sticks to drag someone though or something.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:20 AM
I think I would feel like I failed as well, but I agree I only felt empathy for that lady, she tried her hardest and saved the other two

Quoting Anonymous 3: I think only if I had no other choice. I imagine it must have been heartbreaking for her... I think either way I'd feel like I failed my children - although I don't feel that way about the woman in the story.
tinybluemoon
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:33 AM

I would probably smother them in all honestly. I couldn't leave my dying child alone under a tree and walk away, never knowing what happened to them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:48 AM
My fear is I would doom us all by trying to do what I wasn't strong enough for.

Quoting tinybluemoon:

I would probably smother them in all honestly. I couldn't leave my dying child alone under a tree and walk away, never knowing what happened to them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:58 AM
I could never know unless I was in that horrible position.

I would like to think that if I could save at least two of my children I would. But I would have so much heartache from loosing the other one I wouldn't know.
tinybluemoon
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:59 AM

The child is non-responsive. Stick some fabric in their mouth, hold their nose with one hand and cover their mouth with the other. A child that is non-responsive would already have low blood pressure, they would be dead within 30 seconds.

Quoting Anonymous 1: My fear is I would doom us all by trying to do what I wasn't strong enough for.
Quoting tinybluemoon:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)