Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching daughter self defense?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:21 AM
  • 15 Replies
Hey, any of you mammas had to teach your teen/preteen daughter to defend herself? I am starting to think it might be a good idea. Sadly I am far enough out in the country (I live on a farm) that proper classes or martial arts might be pretty hard to come by. I have a bunch of animals though! XD

So anyone have any suggestions of what to teach or how to do it? Do I need props? Get my son to help out? I'm a bit hampered by not being am expert myself, but I want my daughter to be safe out there.
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:28 AM
There are self defense classes for women that are just one evening or weekend afternoon. You could do one together and make a little trip of it. Try calling your police department, they'd probably have info.
tinybluemoon
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Youtube classes and investing in a punching bag.

vickiw89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:37 AM

YouTube and Google choi kwang do. I actually studied this style and hold a black belt! Brilliant self defence. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:39 AM

Our local college occasionally holds a self-defense class for women and I will sign my DD up for it when she's old enough (right now she's only 6).  A friend & I have talked about taking it ourselves next time it's available, too.  Why not look on YouTube for some videos & instructions?  I wouldn't suggest getting your son involved in this - unless he's a trained professional, he or your DD could end up getting hurt.  I think the suggestion of talking to your local police dept is a great idea.  They might have some resources that you can help you.  :)

JaneSmith123
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:46 AM
Thanks, I will. Do you need anything to practise? Equipment etc?

I actually never thought about calling the local PD before, that's a great idea!

Quoting vickiw89:

YouTube and Google choi kwang do. I actually studied this style and hold a black belt! Brilliant self defence. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:55 AM
I'm not sure what the animals have to do with self defense....
JaneSmith123
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:02 AM
I was thinking a sheep could stand in as a sparring partner.

I'm kidding. I was saying animals are the only thing we have on a farm ;)

Quoting Anonymous 3: I'm not sure what the animals have to do with self defense....
mommasnail
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:05 AM
My daughter is taking taekwondo and my husband is in the Army, self defense is just a given here lol. There are typically self defense classes, Google your area and see what comes up.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:02 AM

I would go with youtube in your situation or like another poster suggested calling the police station and asking them. 

My girls take Karate. I wanted them to know how to defend themselves since they will be dating one day in the very distant future. They are 9 and 6. My oldest is a Black belt and can put teens bigger than her on the ground. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:09 AM
I taught my stepdaughter how to throw a punch. She was 14 and I let her go to the park across the street with a friend and they ended up getting harassed verbally by some older boys. She came and told me, her dad went and found the boys and scared them to death (he still had on his jailers uniform). I showed her what to do if one physically approaches her. Punch in the nose. Makes the eyes water, they can't see, and you can run. I've had kickboxing training and a lot of that is punching as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)