Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much would you include the kids (teens) in planning the vacation?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:27 AM
  • 13 Replies
We are trying to plan our summer vacation and we've asked the kids where they want to go and I think we've natrowed it down to the San antonio area.

Now we need to figure out the hotel and activities and how long we stay.

The kids are 13 and 15. Should we let them plan it just give them a budget or should we say something like we can stay at a nice resort for 600 a night but then we can only stay 4 nights instead of 6/7 if we stay at a hotel and it means less activities in San Antonio and new branfuls?

What would you do? I think it might be nice to let them help plan it and be more hands on and gives them real world experience with money but DH and I can't decide if that's really such a good idea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:28 AM

I plan our vacations, but I know my kids and what they will like or not like.

Hubris_Huntsman
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Why not give them a budget and guidance. Then have them present you two plans and you have the final decision?
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Ohh I like that idea, a LOT.

Quoting Hubris_Huntsman: Why not give them a budget and guidance. Then have them present you two plans and you having the final decision?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:31 AM
I would ask what would they like to do
Give them a few options
I definately wouldn't give them the budget

mary716
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:32 AM
Our summer trip is always the same: a week in Allegany camping with dhs entire side of the family. There is anywhere between 40-70 of us and the kids all love it.
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:33 AM
We don't have that option though so that's why we are planning a trip to San antonio.

Quoting mary716: Our summer trip is always the same: a week in Allegany camping with dhs entire side of the family. There is anywhere between 40-70 of us and the kids all love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:34 AM
We've done that and one says she wants to go to seaworld and the other says the alamo. We will do both of those (unless I can somehow convince her to change her mind about seaworld, I hated that place since I was a kid)

Quoting SnapIt: I would ask what would they like to do
Give them a few options
I definately wouldn't give them the budget

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:35 AM

When ours were teens, we all discussed it as a family.  We didn't do it ourselves, or leave it to them.  It was a joint decision (with, of course, having veto power).

mary716
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:36 AM
It posted before I finished because my sister texted me lol anyway, I let them choose the activities so they feel more involved. They choose which trails we hike, which lake they want to fish, do they want to go boating or on the paddle boats and so on. definitely let them choose at least some of the activities.

Quoting Roxygurl: We don't have that option though so that's why we are planning a trip to San antonio.

Quoting mary716: Our summer trip is always the same: a week in Allegany camping with dhs entire side of the family. There is anywhere between 40-70 of us and the kids all love it.
Poosaloosa
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:38 AM
My kid is six but he helps plan family vacation. We look at options and all put in our opinion. I figure since it's his vacation too his opinion matters. And he is usually fairly easy to please. His vacation requirements usually are a hotel with a pool and some kind of museum, zoo or animal park/aquarium visit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)