Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"But brown people speak Spanish"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
This is what my oldest dd said in the store yesterday. She kept asking me if family next to us was speaking Spanish. I couldn't really hear the words, so I said I didn't know. That's when she (very loudly) informed me.. I got the stink eye from mom..
DD1 is half Mexican. I don't know if being around biodads family is what gave her that thought.
I have told this child countless times that there are many languages. Ugh.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PickYourPoison
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:04 AM
Lol I'm white and speak Spanish and French!
chillemi78
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:04 AM
Kids say things based on what they observe. It's typically purely innocent. If people can't get over it, that's their problem. Sure, we should teach them, but you can't fault a kid for being innocent.
prenatalRN
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:07 AM
Meh, kids say the darnest things ;)
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Because of my husband's skin complexion, he gets mistaken as spanish speaking ALL the time. And, people get frustrated when he doesn't respond to them.   

Kids are kids, it happens.  

Sassy762
by 200 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Kids say crazy stuff all the time, I would have just laughed, lol

Quoting Anonymous 1: This is what my oldest dd said in the store yesterday. She kept asking me if family next to us was speaking Spanish. I couldn't really hear the words, so I said I didn't know. That's when she (very loudly) informed me.. I got the stink eye from mom.. DD1 is half Mexican. I don't know if being around biodads family is what gave her that thought. I have told this child countless times that there are many languages. Ugh.

Donna.June
by Pigpen on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:10 AM
Lol, no I don't speak Spanish :)
that_girl_kk
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:11 AM
How old is she?
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:11 AM
DS once very loudly informed me that there were a lot of brown people in the store. I wanted to crawl under a rock and die.

He was obsessed with coloring at the time and always wanted the people he drew to be the right color. For example, when he drew me he needed the peach crayon.

I wanted to explain WHY he said what he did, but I figured that would be even more awkward, lol.
Cordoba9632147
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:12 AM
I would have just laughed! That was totally innocent, that lady needs to get over it!
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:13 AM

It's not that serious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)