Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coconut oil made hair loss worse!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

Ive been having issues with excessive hair fall for quite some time. I wash my hair every 2-3 days and lose anywhere from 50-70 hairs. I have sebbhoric dermatitis and just started using ketaconazole shampoo. It's definitely helping to cut down on the itchy scalp. But I wanted to do a coconut oil scalp treatment to help my scalp and hopefully encourage new hair growth... So I used it this morning and washed my hair (had to wash it twice with regular shampoo and then use my medicated shampoo). Between showering and combing I lost AT LEAST 150 hairs! I have NEVER lost that many.. I just wanted to cry, it was coming out but the gobs

Everyone swears by coconut oil for this, so why did it make me lose more hair than normal?? :(

ETA: I already know what is causing my hair loss, its the SD. My doctor said its causing my scalp to be inflamed. Once its under control my hair loss SHOULD stop.  It's been 2 weeks since starting and the hair loss hasnt stopped.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
seaformee
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:47 AM
Idk why that happened, but it shouldn't be the coconut oil. Do you think it was the 3 washings in a row?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you had your thyroid checked?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Get natural shampoo.  Nothing with Sodium Laurel Sulfates.  I got rid of it and my head stopped itching.  Also, have you had your thyroid levels checked?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:47 AM
Take biotin pills
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:48 AM
Did you just have a baby?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:50 AM
I doubt the additional hair loss is from the coconut oil - I agree with pp-thyroid imbalance can cause that
greatwhiteshark
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:53 AM
I have hair loss. I have been on 1000 mcg biotin and it has helped a lot. Sorry about your hair... I know how devastating it is.
curvygurl1912
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:53 AM

The average person loses 100 hairs a day, so your loss is not excessive, if your estimate is accurate. However, the loss is not from the coconut oil. In future only use on split ends, don't saturate your hair to the scalp that will then lead you to wash your hair 3 times. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Quoting seaformee: Idk why that happened, but it shouldn't be the coconut oil. Do you think it was the 3 washings in a row?

maybe?? this has never happened before.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Quoting Anonymous 2: Have you had your thyroid checked?

yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)