Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you be comfortable with a foster parent

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 182 Replies
Watching your child on a regular basis? I need child care for my DD (age 1) I'm in a new city thanks to my job and know absolutely no one. My hours won't allow me to use a traditional child care center. My boss gave me the name and number of someone they know personally who happens to be a certified/licensed foster parent. I have not spoken with the woman yet but my boss told me she has 6 bio kids (3 are grown and out the house) plus her foster kids. She assured me the lady would treat my DD as her own child but of course I want to speak with her, meet with her, ask questions etc. I'm waiting on a call back from her now. Anyway I was thinking this sounded like it could possibly work out but I was talking to a friend of mine and she said she would be extra nervous because foster kids can be violent and emotionally unstable. She also said since the lady is a foster mom she might call cps if even one simple thing is out of place with DD like mismatched socks or maybe a juice stain on her shirt etc. I would welcome advice, tips and tricks!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this
LOL I was friends with a foster mom for many years. We traded child care as needed and she was a long term sub in my son's class for around 4 months. None of her foster kids were violent and she was the least judgemental woman I've ever known.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

I personally would not. Mostly because I wouldnt put my infant in the care of someone I don't know.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Hell No
rosie211
by I'm a nice one on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Probably. They have to jump through some serious hoops to get certified.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
OK well I really have no option on that level. My job transferred me. I don't know a single person in this city. And its a huge city. So I'm trying to figure out a way to make things as safe as possible.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

I personally would not. Mostly because I wouldnt put my infant in the care of someone I don't know.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:32 PM
2 moms liked this
I currently work in a high risk foster home, and absolutely. The higher risk the children, the better certification the person needs to have.

As well as the children will most likely be in school, and many foster parents have extra staff or respite care as well.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:34 PM
10 moms liked this
She is not going to make a CPS report over mismatched socks, that's absurd.

I'd say yes because she has had a thorough background check on the states dime and is in frequent contact with social workers. And you got a personal reference from someone you know. That's more than licensed dayccares.
ShaMac
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
You are extremely lucky to have that option.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:35 PM
2 moms liked this
The plus side is she has had her CPR/First aid training & has taken state approved parenting classes
The down side is not all foster parents are good, I've heard bad stories & good.
I took all the classes & got certified but backed out bc I would have to do things I don't agree with doing. Also it is a good idea to find out the status of the kids in her home.
Good luck! Meeting her will be your best tell of the situation.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:35 PM
7 moms liked this
Well then this post doesn't apply to you anyway so commenting was pointless, unless of course you're trying to brag or look down your nose at someone else.

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)