Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dd is mad I missed her child's birth

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
My daughter gave birth yesterday to my 3rd grandchild. She also has a set of twins that turned 2 yesterday.

When they went to the hospital on Friday, no one knew how long labor would take. She didn't end up having the baby until Saturday at 1:24 pm.

I was not there for the birth. Her due date was on Wednesday. Beforehand, we discussed that I would take the girls if she was still in the hospital and do birthday activities with them. We planned to go the bounce house and then I would take them out to lunch and we would go visit mom and dad at the hospital.

Well her husband texts me 30 minutes prior to the pushing saying it's getting closer and closer until it's time. I guess that was their way of telling me to come up there? I just said "yay! Can't wait to meet her!!"

I let the girls continue to play but left the bounce house a little earlier than planned.

At about 2, her husband calls me going off about how I missed the birth and how awful I am.

What did I do wrong?! It was discussed to celebrate the twins bday so that's what I was doing. I didn't want to end their special day as soon as I get a text. How was I even supposed to
Know what "closer and closer" meant?

Ideally, I would be there for all my grandchildrens birthdays but I love my 2 year old grandkids too! They were having a fun time and I was left in charge of them for the day. I used my best judgement in what to do and I'm sorry they don't think that's good enough but what can you do?

When I got to the hospital, my daughter and son inlaw were stand offish towards me but they didn't make a scene...thankfully.

Just a side note: she was a nice 8lbs, 1 oz. cute as a button :) her name is ruby katherine.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, I'm sorry your dd was so rude.  How nice of you to take her twins out to celebrate their birthday.  She needs to thank her lucky stars she has a mom that's such a great grandma!

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

So, what did they expect you to do with the twins if you came up there for the birth?? Just leave them sitting by themselves in a waiting room? 

You did what you thought was best- let them finish playing, then went to the hospital. They need to figure out if this is a hill they are willing to die on...there is a good 18+ more years of birthdays for those girls.. For Miss Ruby as well as for the twins. Are they willing to ruin a relationship with the kids' Grandmother over something so silly or live and let live since you had the best interests of the twins in mind? 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Sassy762
by 200 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Congratulations

They will get over it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:53 PM
Was it planned and talked about beforehand that you were going to be at the birth?
wicked_tink
by twinkie humper on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:57 PM
Wow I'm sorry you had to go through that craziness
702girly
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Wow, three kids with the same birthday. That kind of sounds like a nightmare to me, LOL.

She'll get over it. It was a misunderstanding. Obviously you care about her and the children and she cares about you because she wanted you there. You guys will get through this.

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:07 PM
3 moms liked this

I would tell him then he shouldn't have sent such a cryptic text.  He should have said GET HERE NOW, SHE'S PUSHING!!

boys2men2soon
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:10 PM
2 moms liked this

You did nothing wrong!   If she wanted you to be there for the birth, she should have not only specified that but she should have made other arrangements for her twins.

shell3m
by Shell on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:14 PM
This 100%

Quoting jabs54:

Wow, I'm sorry your dd was so rude.  How nice of you to take her twins out to celebrate their birthday.  She needs to thank her lucky stars she has a mom that's such a great grandma!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Ungrateful brats. If you didn't love your grand kids so much .. Do they think it's easy to handle twins all day? Grrrrr I know how it goes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)