Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter hates reading

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
No matter what book it is , she always loses interest jn whatever book she is reading. She is in the fourth grade. I will not let her give up. What are some ways you Gus motivated your kids to read?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Read with her. Read about things shge is interested in . Read cookbooks and make some of the recipes. Read Shel Silverstein. Make it fun. Read about gardening and plant somehting. If she is into dance read about dancers or how to dance boks and do it with her.

HAHuskey
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:45 PM
Is there a reason she hates reading? Some kids say they hate it, but they really are just struggling with it.
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Let her move backwards and read picture books. She will be more confident and then she might move to more difficult books. What does she like? Hobbies?

AvantGardener
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:48 PM

Kids hate things that are hard for them to do. I would dig deeper as to what she hates about it.

DallasCowboys81
by Don't live in Texas! on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:48 PM
If you have a way to do Ebooks maybe do it that way for a little while, and then go back to paper books. My dd who is in 6th grade is not a fan of reading either, but if she listens to it, we have a better outcome. She will listen to the book, and then read it.
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:48 PM
Yeah I tried it all and it didn't help. Both my kids hate reading.
RazzleMySpazz
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:51 PM
Books that have movies?

Read the book and then when it's done you guys grab some popcorn, turn off the lights and watch the movie, compare the differences? It might make a nice incentive.

At the end of each chapter a good way to keep her engaged in the story line might be having her tell you what happened. What happened, favorite part, worst part... What do you think will happen next? might be good questions to help her reflect on what's she's read the better she understands what she's read, the more interested she might be?

Tbh, I don't have this problem. Dd had such a hard time learning to read that now she just can't get enough. She's 2nd grade and just started reading the hunchback of notre dame, she has to ask a lot of question each chapter, but she's doing better than I expected. Next is Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde. I got a set of classic thrillers for her because wanted a challenge.
mary716
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:53 PM
My kids have to read 30-45 minutes a day or no tv, computer, video games or tablets. So their motivation is being able to access the electronics. My son has to do a monthly book report for school so he really doesn't have a choice in the matter. They are still in elementary school so they still get the book order forms from scholastic, so the other motivator is that they can each pick 3 Books to buy every month.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:56 PM
At fourth grade, her issue is probably fluency. Not always, but probably. Fluency influences motivation. Try to determine what she can read nearly 100% independently.

Then, grab everything you can find in that level that might interest her.

Model reading. Read to her. Read together. You take a turn, she takes a turn. When you read, think aloud. Tell her the presumptions, connections, inferences, and predictions going on in your head while you read.

If she's fairly fluent and none of these things help, you'll wan to look at other reasons for decreased motivation.

Does she have reading models?
Is she anxious, depressed, otherwise not "dialed-in" while reading?
Is she sick?
Does she prefer a certain genre?
Does she read instructions, magazines, game cards?

I strongly recommend that you encourage any graphic novel interests. One study showed that comics/graphic novels/you-know-the-pictures-with-word-bubbles are ranked second in rare word usage, behind only academic writing.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:59 PM

With my son, it was that he was bored, and hated the books.  We started getting him Road & Track magazines - and he would read every page.  He's 33, and reads now - but never novels.  He prefers biographies.

My youngest, even by 2nd grade, never wanted to read "little kid books."  She would read about earthquakes, bugs, tractors, how things were made, natural disasters - those she loved!  (strange kid, lol).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)