Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will we ever be "middle class"?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 82 Replies

Right now I am finishing up my last year in college, I am getting my MA in education. My husband works full time and makes $10 an hour. We also have a child who has a disability and receives SSI and Medicaid. I worry that when I start working, between paying off my loans, losing Medicaid and SSI, we are going to end up WORSE off than we are now! My starting salary will be around $40,000 and DH makes another $20,000...will we ever be able to live comfortably?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:25 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Couldn't tell you. Hopefully your wages would increase over time. Is there room for improvement in your DH's wages?

1boy1girlmama
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:29 PM
Depends on where you live and the cost of living.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:29 PM

He has been working for the same company for about three years and has steadily been increasing his wage. It is ranked as the number one employer in our area for many years, and he is luck, in that he has no skills or education and gets benefits like sick days and vacation time. It is a reasonable job. 

I will, of course, earn more as I work. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Couldn't tell you. Hopefully your wages would increase over time. Is there room for improvement in your DH's wages?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Well, the wage I quoted would be for where we live now, if we relocated to a more expensive area, my salary would increase. 

Quoting 1boy1girlmama: Depends on where you live and the cost of living.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:33 PM
No, I have seen a drastic decrease in the middle class, most people are living paycheck to paycheck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:34 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm a teacher with a master's in education. I make around $50,000. Dh makes $10/hour. I feel like we can never catch up.
jamamama00
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:35 PM
I hope you didn't get too many loans for that education degree. Why did you get your master's? My DH has two masters in education and history and he makes 42 a year.
peachesforme
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Yup, welcome to the screwed middle class. Thats your reward for working hard.
stacey541
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:37 PM
You will be making what we do now. I feel like we are in middle class. Small savings, can pay all bills on time, and can take a reasonable vacation once a year.nn
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)