Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jehovah's Witnesses and Easter

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

I majorly fucked up, and I don't know how to fix it. My mom is a Jehovah's Witness, and she's flying in to visit us. I was the one who booked the flight, so it's my mistake. We planned her visit to accommodate her work schedule, and I wasn't even thinking of Easter when I did it. I never really bought into the whole JW thing, and that's been a sore spot in our relationship. After a while, we just kind of knew not to bring it up. She knows my family celebrates the holidays, but I don't send her pictures or flaunt it in her face, kwim?

I can't ignore it now that she'll be here for a major holiday. Usually I set the Easter baskets out the night before, and the kids are free to dig in when they wake up. Later in the morning/afternoon, we go egg hunting and throw something on the grill.

Do I continue the festivities as usual and deeply hurt her feelings? Do I reschedule the holiday and hope the kids don't notice? I'm at a loss here.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NiamhWitch
by Póg mo thóin on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you can celebrate Easter on a different day?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:58 PM
I would maintain my family traditions. Give her a heads up & let her know you didn't plan this intentionally.
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:58 PM

She knows you celebrate. She can choose to go to a hotel the night before if it bothers her. 

I refuse to change how we do things in my home for anyone. 

Linemanmomma
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:00 PM
I'd never deny my kids a holiday celebration the we normally have just to appease someone who believes differently. If she doesn't want to take part, she can go elsewhere for the day. I know that sounds pretty harsh, but take it from someone who wishes their kids were still small enough to hunt eggs...they grow up too fast! These memory making times will be over all too soon, don't miss a chance.
Piskie
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:00 PM
Your family. You have your religious beliefs. Pretty much all adults realise that we have our differences. I don't go to mass with my miL, I take her. She doesn't do pagan festivals, but she gives me the garden.

You do your things, she does hers.
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Do Easter before Grandma visits.  

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:05 PM

I'm sure she knows what Holiday Easter falls on and she knows that  you celebrate it.

QuietNarrative
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:05 PM
We are in the same boat. They called the other day and said they are coming the 4th-12th. You know when easter is, half a dozen birthdays, our first wedding anniversary (I know that they celebrate anniversaries im just grumpy) oh and did I mention I am due on the 8th. I told my husband we are still celebrating (his family is the jw). It is the first easter my son is old enough for and I am not going to miss out on that (even if i have to do it in the hostipal!)
squeekers
by squeekers on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:05 PM
Suggest she goes to the movies or mall shopping that day. It's how we deal with catholic ideals and our being atheistic.
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:08 PM
She knows when eat is, she realizes you celebrate. If she doesn't want to be around that, she should stay home.
If she won't, do Easter before grandma gets there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)