Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

weekly chores for a 9 year old

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1 Replies
Growing up, i never did chores. I never learned how to clean a house. It just wasn't in our lifestyle, i guess.

I'd like to teach ds while i teach myself.

Things i do on a weekly basis- clean the oven, microwave and dish washer. Mop the kitchen, clean out the fridge, organize the pantry. Clean the bathroom.

Every day- i do the dishes and a pick up of everything. It'll be spotless of debris lol.

Ds is in charge of vacuuming (at least once a week, more if he wants)... taking care of his laundry (dirty in basket, clean on hangers or in the drawers), and keeping his room/areas clean.

We take care of the dishes after we eat, we make our beds every morning... i feel like from laundry and down is just normal things he has to do, not chores.

I'm at a loss on what chores to assign him... what else i should focus on... and honestly, what products i should buy for cleaning. Like the table- i use Clorex wipes. Same with the toilet when ds can't aim... but I'll use a bucket of bleach when i do a full bathroom clean.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Age Appropriate Chores For Kids

The chores suggested below are a rough guideline of age appropriate jobs for kids. Keep in mind that kids are different both developmentally and physically. Some children may be able to handle more than others, some less. You need to decide what chores are appropriate for your kids. It's a good idea to start small and add chores based on your child's readiness. It's even o.k. to start with one chore, especially if assigning chores is new in your family. We want our kids to succeed so we need to set up a system that supports success!

2-4 year olds

help dust
put napkins on table
help put away toys
put laundry in hamper
help feed pet

4-7year olds - "Help" is the important word at this age. Many of the chores will be done as a helper and slowly kids can graduate to doing them independently!

set the table or help set the table
put away toys/things
help feed pets
water plants
help make bed
dust
put laundry in hamper
help put dishes in dishwasher
water the garden
help wipe up messes
help with yard work (rake with child's rake or plant flowers, etc.)
help clear table

help put away groceries

8-10 year olds

make bed
water plants
clean room with direction
set the table

clear the table
dust
vacuum
feed pets (depends on type of pet and how your comfortable your child is interacting with the pet)
help make dinner
put laundry in hamper
help wash the car
help wash dishes
help load/empty dishwasher
rake leaves

take out the trash

11 year olds and older

take garbage out
set the table

clear the table
clean room with direction

put away groceries

clean the bathroom with direction

clean the kitchen

dust
vacuum
mow lawn
feed pets
water plants
put laundry in hamper
help with laundry and eventually start doing own laundry
help make dinner/make small meals on own 
help wash the car/wash car
make bed
help with yard work
shovel snow
wash dishes/load or empty dishwasher

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)