Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Late Puberty???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

Hi Ladies:

We have heard numerous stories about girls and boys, mostly girls starting puberty very early.  I have a question and concern for you.

My daughter is 12 and looks about 10.  She is about 4 feet, 8 inches and there are no signs of puberty.  She is going to be 13 in May.

All her friends are wearing a bra already and my little girl has no armpit hair, no breast development at all, and no leg hair.  She is asking why all her friends have bras and not her.

She is however in gymnastics and I heard stories how it delays puberty.  I realise it isn't a competition but it concerns me.  I don't want my little girl having to take hormones to start puberty but it seems late to me.  Some girls nowadays are wearing bras in grade 5 and grade 6 but I know it is odd that a soon to be grade 8 still looks like a grade 6 girl.

I am flat chested myself, barely a B cup but it seems most girls these days have much larger chests than their Mom.  I also don't want her being very short either.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angl_gurl1
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:47 PM

some kids are late bloomers. i would have a talk with the pediatrician and see what they say about it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:50 PM
According to studies, girls who develope later have an advantage..
She is only 12. Give it time. My sister was like that well past 13.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:50 PM

When did you begin to bloom?  Girls generally tend to develop within a year or so of when their mother developed.  If you were a late bloomer, most likely she will be as well.  If you are shorter and smaller, she most likely will be too.  IMO, you have nothing to worry about.

As far as the bra goes, if it would make her feel better to wear one go shopping for bras.  It's not like you have to have big boobs to wear a bra.

ejkdmom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:50 PM

I didn't start puberty until 16.  Then it hit like a freight truck!

I wouldn't worry.

Rubberbiscuit
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:51 PM

If you're concerned, you should talk to her doctor.  There could be a medical reason for it, and if there is, the sooner you find out about it the easier it will be to treat.  It's probably nothing though. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:51 PM
My sons 14 and hasn't hit puberty. I'm supposed to have him at the dr this month as a follow up for blood work.
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:52 PM
For 13 she is totally normal. Gymnastics could delay things. No need to be concerned until 16-ish
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2mms
by Kristin on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:52 PM
My mom was almost 15. I was almost 12. My dd is almost 11 and the only thing going on is a little bit of breast tissue. Her doctor said she is no where near starting and I'm relieved.
lalalamama
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:53 PM
I wouldn't be worried at 12. Early puberty is more of a cause for concern.
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:53 PM

My daughter is turning 12 and has no body hair or breast development either. She is however, quite tall (4'11 at least). You shouldn't be concerned until closer to 16.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)