Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bad parent moment! :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

So, my DD woke up before we did and decided to make her breakfast (she just turned 9.). She grabbed an already precooked hardboiled egg from the fridge, made herself a fruit bowl and toast.

Apparently when she made the toast, something landed on the lever and prevented it from popping up when the toast was done. I woke up to a house filled with smoke.

DD didn't tell us that it had happened. What she did was, unplug the toaster and move whatever it was that was on the lever, open the windows and bring a fan into the kitchen to help air the place out.

I'm seriously surprised the smoke detector didn't go off.

I'm pretty proud of her though. I thought she handled it well (by unplugging the toaster and not freaking out), but I wish she had woken me up. (She said it had just happened, but still..wake me up!)

We just bought new smoke detectors though. I'm a little disturbed they didn't go off when they are usually so sensitive.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShaMac
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:06 PM
Sounds like she reacted well.
Medic32
by Go PREDS! on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:07 PM
Sounds like a very mature and responsible way to handle it.
MilkLover0203
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:08 PM
I hate smoke detectors. At least she handled it well. Ours are so sensitive, they would go off when I'm cooking anything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:08 PM

I honestly think so too.

If it had been me, I may have freaked out. I saw the toast, it was completely black. We could have had a fire which has me freaked out (and why I am checking the smoke detectors and the fire extinguisher.

Quoting ShaMac: Sounds like she reacted well.

shell3m
by Shell on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:09 PM
How is that a bad parenting moment? Sounds like you should be super proud.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Always!

All we have to do is cook bacon or make fried chicken and the damned thing is going off.

The one day I need it to go off and it doesn't. :/

Quoting MilkLover0203: I hate smoke detectors. At least she handled it well. Ours are so sensitive, they would go off when I'm cooking anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Cause I feel like I should have been up.

Quoting shell3m: How is that a bad parenting moment? Sounds like you should be super proud.

angl_gurl1
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:10 PM

u have a very smart and mature young lady

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:12 PM
Mine went off when i was smoking! I've smoke a million times before, in the same exact place, and it never went off before. 4 years later- it decides to go off, in the middle of the night! I'm glad it didn't wake anyone up. I tore my shirt off, waving it around, trying to get the air to circulate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:12 PM

I think so. She was so non-chalant about it though. She was just like, "I unplugged it."

Quoting angl_gurl1:

u have a very smart and mature young lady

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)