Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Believe Like I Do Or Else!

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:39 PM
  • 41 Replies

How many things that you believe in do you expect your children to also believe in?

Do you expect that they will believe the same religious beliefs?

Do you expect they will have the same political beliefs?

Do you expect they will have the same morality views on sex and marriage as you do?

I'm wondering how much you expect your children to just adopt your values as opposed to developing some of their own, and how you feel if they don't adopt your values.

Do you feel they are rejecting you if they reject some of what you believe in?

by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I teach my children to think with their brain. I praise DD for her critical thinking and use of deductive reasoning.

I don't care what they believe as long as they use their brains to come to that conclusion.
mary716
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't expect my kids to believe in anything they don't want to. They have their own brains
AngelSinger
by MS Warrior on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:43 PM
In my culture, we believe that everyone has their own individual Path. As parents, our job is to expose them to our ways and allow them to find their own. As a result, all I really expect is that while finding and walking their own Paths, they show my husband and I the respect for ours that we raised them with.
katydid150
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this
DS is free to hold whatever beliefs he sees fit to, i gave birth to an individual, not a clone.
Foolynroo2
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I have always encouraged my son to be his own person , make his own opinions. and he has.

Now since he was raised with the morals I hold dear,  we often view things from the same perspective.

But if he has an opposing view I don't find it to be  a rejection - just proof that I did a good job making him his own person.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:45 PM
I hope my children will follow my religious path and would feel like a failure if they don't at least believe in God. I would hope that they are at least close to my political beliefs but don't really expect them to share them.
mrsmamab
by Lacye on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I expect my kids to think for themselves when they get older. I'll give my view on things but ultimately it's their lives and they will have to figure it out themselves.

And I hate the parents who put a condition on their love. I don't care if I don't agree with my kids, they are my babies and they always will be.
romalove
by SakePrincess on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AngelSinger: In my culture, we believe that everyone has their own individual Path. As parents, our job is to expose them to our ways and allow them to find their own. As a result, all I really expect is that while finding and walking their own Paths, they show my husband and I the respect for ours that we raised them with.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope he does, but I know in the end they are his choices and beliefs not mine to decide.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:49 PM
My kids are free to think for themselves and explore other cultures and religions. They will however be expected to have their butts in the church pew come Sunday morning until they are 18.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)