Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Irritated...my daughter showed up to her nieces birthday hungover today

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies
My daughter is a 19yo sophomore in college. She attends one 2 hours away and lives in an apartment with her friends. I guess yesterday was the day they all celebrate St Patrick's day. My granddaughter had her birthday party today, they live 1 hour from her college so she took the bus.

Well she showed up wearing no makeup, looking exhausted, hair in a bun. Chugging a Gatorade. As soon as she sat down she was eating chips, went to the bathroom frequently and looked very queasy. She played with my granddaughter and her friends later on but my son asked her if she'd had fun yesterday and laughed and she said yes but she was feeling it today.

Dh and I tried to talk to her and she basically brushed us off, kinda laughed and said something lame about it being college, and that she didn't feel like discussing it with us. I said She's 19, it's illegal and it's irresponsible, and I said I was completely disappointed shed show up to a 3 year olds birthday hungover. She said I could be disappointed all I want, she doesn't care and walked off. It was tense for the rest of the day and she didn't text me she got home okay like usual.

I don't think I was out of line in the slightest telling her that. I'm disgusted she was so rude about it.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StiflersMom
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Are you paying for her college?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:59 PM
This. My parents absolutely had a say since they were paying.

Quoting StiflersMom:

myshoes
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:00 PM
At least she showed up to the party.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:00 PM
This

Quoting StiflersMom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
No. She's mostly on an academic scholarship. The rest is covered by Her bio dad and he has no problem with her partying, we've had the conversation before.

Quoting StiflersMom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:02 PM
It sucks but she can make these choices as an adult. She will also have to suffer the consequences.

Quoting Anonymous 1: No. She's mostly on an academic scholarship. The rest is covered by Her bio dad and he has no problem with her partying, we've had the conversation before.

Quoting StiflersMom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:05 PM
If she gets good grades and takes care of her responsibilities, I'd let it go.
katydid150
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:07 PM
7 moms liked this
She showed up and she wasn't drunk, just hungover.

You can be disappointed all you want, but she's an adult and needs to live her life and learn from her experiences.

Calling her out at a family event was poorly done.
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Why do so many people accept underage drinking? It baffles me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Kind of sounds like you were the only one who had a problem with it.  Also, from the what you have written, you kind of sound like the rude one.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)