Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you talk yourself out of depression?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies
I wish I could but I am so fatigued from my depression. It just feels like it's in my body, not just a state of mind. What helps you if you deal with depression?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:10 PM
I usually have to make a change in my life. Doesn't have to be anything big but I need to shake things up every now and then or I get in a funk or depression.
blessbest
by KristinMom on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:11 PM
I just fill myself with the thoughts, that whatever is weighing me down now is only but for a while.

Tomorrow will definitely be brighter.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:11 PM
6 moms liked this
You can talk yourself out of the blues, you can't talk yourself out of chemical imbalance in your brain.
AngryBob
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:11 PM

a hobby. one where you create something. when you work on it, it creates the chemical dopamine, which literally starves depression. it's akin to meditation.

i've been battling depression since i was a kid, and until someone gave me that advice, i thought it was just something i had to deal with. now i feel so much better about myself and life in general.

i went through several hobbies before i found one that stuck, so don't get discouraged.

JennPearce
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:12 PM

I agree with the PP's. If it's really bad though, don't hesitate to go to a doctor. Hope you feel better! 

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:13 PM
2 moms liked this

No, if you're feeling down and blah you can talk yourself out of that. If you're dealing with actual depression, a doctor can help.

myshoes
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:15 PM
I am not sure you can ever just "talk" yourself out if it but there are a few things that were steps in the right direction for me.
1. I must say three good things about myself out loud every day (can not repeat the same thing two days in a row). I do my best to acknowledge when I am saying something negative in my head. Stop and say one of the three positive things for that day.
2. Must have natural light (preferably sunlight) as much as possible each day. (Open the curtains. Move (even to the floor) to have sunlight on my face. )
3. Have a small goal each day. Some days it was to shower, some days it was to make my bed, or comb my hair. Whatever. Just set a goal and celebrate it, in my head, every day that I accomplished my goal. (As I felt better, my goals became "bigger")

Good luck.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:15 PM

It depends on how bad it is.  Exercise (especially outdoors) is great.  It produces chemicals that will help.

that_girl_kk
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:15 PM
I think journaling and exercising can be life saving.
BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:15 PM
I have to try my best to be positive because I don't take meds for depression. I also try to be active as much I can. Hope things will get better for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)